Anesthesia Technician - Anesthesia - Durham
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
General Description of the Job Class
Perform a variety of technical and supportive patient care tasks to assist attending anesthesiologists, residents and nurse anesthetists in performing anesthetic procedures for patients ranging from infancy to geriatrics. Performs routine and delegated duties according to departmental policies.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Consult Operating Room schedule to determine supply and equipment needs for procedures; prepare anesthetizing locaions for indicated procedure to include setting up and calibrating monitoring devices; troubleshoot anesthesia equipment malfuntions, routing non-funcitional equipment to the proper department for repair. Assist anesthesia providers using aseptic or sterile technique with non-invasive and invasive patient procedures including peripheral and/or central intravenous and/or arterial line placement; airway management techniques including mask, endotracheal and/or emergency methods and regional anesthesia techniques.
- Assist anesthesia providers with physiological monitoring of patients notifying the anesthesia provider(s) of abnormal changes in vital signs and/or physical appearance of the patient.
- Clean anesthesia machines, monitors and equipment following procedures established by Infection Control.
- Stock anesthesia supplies in all anesthetizing locations including ploss carts, fiber optic carts, emergency airway bags and any other anesthesia supply location.
- Obtain supplies and equipment as requested by anesthesia providers.
- Assist with patient laboratory tests and results including, but not limited to, ABG's, ACTs and other point of care tests.
- Obtain blood products and pharmaceuticals assisting with preparation and delivery. Maintain immediate availability to assist in routine and emergency procedures. May act as a resource and role model for other anesthesia technicians, anesthesia providers, learners and other health care team members by providing technical guidance and instruction as appropriate.
- May provide verbal and written feedback of interviewees and peers as appropriate and as indicated by supervisor.
- May serve as an instructor/facilitator of educational in-services for other anesthesia technicians.
- May act as a role model for orientation and training of anesthesia technicians and other health care team members.
- May assume anesthesia technician charge role in managing daily work schedule of anesthesia technicians and directing care to provide an efficient and safe environment.
- Acquire and/or maintan certfication by obtaiing annual continuing educaiton requirements.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Work generally requires two years of college coursework in biology, physiology, anatomy or related scientific fields.
Work requires one year of direct patient contact experience as an Emergency Medical Technician, Licensed Practical Nurse or related clinical experience, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Basic Life Support Provider Certification.
American Society of Anesthesia Technologists and Technicians Certification preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure in a stressful environment, and often without relief.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge relating to the anesthesia procedures in order to effectively anticipate the needs of the anesthesiologist.
- Ability to set priorities and respond appropriately to actual and/or potential life threatening situations.
- Communicate with patients while helping prepare them for anesthesia to explain procedures, allay fears and elicit patient cooperation. Participate in non-charged calming conversations.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with other members of the health care team.
- Physical abilities to complete job duties which include lifting, standing, walking, ability to push, pull, climb, stoop, kneel, reach overhead and rotate trunk for prolonged periods.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.