Therapy Aide - Speech Pathology
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Along with our supporting staff, our department includes speech-language pathologists and audiologists who provide comprehensive services to children and adults for a wide range of communication, swallowing, and hearing disorders. We serve both inpatient and outpatient settings.
Perform a variety of duties in assisting physical therapists and occupational therapists with Department operating procedures and patient treatment.
- Perform patient related tasks and instruction, in which employee has attained competence, as specifically designated by the therapist. Prepare patient and treatment area for care, aid therapist with patient care under direct and/or indirect supervision, and ensure safe patient environment.
- Transport patients to proper location according to daily time schedule utilizing all necessary safety precautions in all areas of the hospital as requested and transport, transfer, and/or assist patient in and out of wheelchair, bed, tilt table, or stretcher safely and without undue discomfort to patients.
- Assist in scheduling inpatients and outpatients as needed; and arrange schedule so patients will arrive in the department for their scheduled visit: delays will be reported to the therapist no later than the scheduled time of expected arrival.
- Assist in the maintenance, care and cleaning of equipment and supplies; demonstrate knowledge of and utilize good body mechanics; understand oxygen procedures in transport of patients; transport/deliver equipment, records, mail/messages in a timely manner as requested or according to daily schedule.
- Manage or assist with control of linen and supply inventory as requested to include Organize and Stock inventory systemically and efficiently; check inventory levels on a daily basis or according to area standard and place as needed. Check orders received for accuracy and damage. Consistently meet patient care productivity standards for job classification. Work cooperatively with peers to contribute to the overall productivity of the team. Actively support and participate in cross coverage efforts in the department/division.
- Report patient responses/reactions to treatment and communicate with patient and staff in courteous, respectful, and supportive manner.
- Respond promptly to requests for assistance in a cooperative and enthusiastic manner. Participate in review of activities and processes for area of work; assist in implementing changes to effect continual improvement in services provided, and comply with regulatory and legal requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic computer skills, ability to learn and use DUHS computer system programs.
- Knowledge and ability to learn some therapy principles, techniques, methods, and modalities and their proper application.
- Knowledge and ability to ensure safe patient care on land and in the pool.
- Ability to understand, follow and communicate/relate oral and written instructions and pertinent information accurately.
Level I Level II Graduation from high school or GED; or an equivalent combination of related education and experience which providesthe required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Bachelor's degree in Exercise Physiology, Exercise Science, or Licensure/Certification as Athletic Trainer or Massage Therapist, or at least three years relevant experience as rehab aide/tech.
Level I Level II Successful completion of an on-the-job training period, rendering competency in performance of required duties after a specified period of time. One year rehabilitative services experience or equivalent education preferred. Bachelor's degree in Exercise Physiology, Exercise Science, or Licensure/Certification as Athletic Trainer or Massage Therapist, or at least three years relevant experience as rehab aide/tech.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Levels I and II BCLS certification or obtain within first three months of employment.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.