Financial Aid Assistant (One or More Positions)
Financial Aid Assistant (One or More Positions)
Kern Community College District
Position Number: 03288
Posting Date: 04/28/2021
Position Closing Date:
Initial Screening Date: 05/12/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Classified
Work Week: 40 hours per week, 12 month position
Minimum Salary: $2,751. 50 per month
Maximum Salary: $3,887.81 per month
Kern Community College District provides a rich health and welfare benefits offering to our employees, including Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, and Long-term Disability.
In addition to the above benefits, the District also offers a robust voluntary benefits selection:
• Flex 125
• Additional products and services through American Fidelity
• Supplemental voluntary life insurance
• Tax Shelter Annuities
The District participates in CalPERS retirement system and Social Security benefits for Classified and Management employees. Employees covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), are vested 100% after five years of full time service credit. All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date.
College/Site: Bakersfield College
Location: BC-Main Campus
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, provide assistance and information to students applying for financial aid; perform a variety of general clerical duties; maintain lists and statistics related to assigned activities.
- Provide assistance and information to students applying for financial aid; answer telephones and greet visitors; interpret and explain related rules, policies, procedures and regulations.
- Assist students in the completion of financial aid applications and verification forms; review documentation; determine applicant status; determine eligibility for fee waivers; schedule interview appointments.
- Perform a variety of general clerical duties; compose routine correspondence; maintain filing systems; type and process various lists, forms and cards.
- Compile and maintain a variety of statistical information related to financial aid; prepare statistical reports as required.
- Produce and mail various verification forms and notices to students including award and eligibility letters; update student records in computer utilizing specialized software.
- Communicate with the public, other departments and outside agencies to exchange information; refer to appropriate financial aid staff; provide information on the availability of grants, loans and scholarships.
- Provide work direction and guidance to student workers.
- Attend various workshops and training seminars as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school AND two years of general clerical experience.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Statistical record-keeping techniques.
- Operation of a computer, specified software and data entry techniques.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Business letter composition and basic report preparation.
- Learn the financial aid application procedure.
- Maintain accurate and complete files and records.
- Learn and explain the scholarships, grants, loans and awards available through the college and the requirements of these programs.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Perform clerical duties such as filing, typing and duplicating materials.
- Answer telephones and greet the public courteously.
- Complete work with many interruptions.
- Compose correspondence and written materials independently.
- Operate office machines including a computer and specified software.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work confidentially with discretion.
Salary Grade: 35.0
Special Instructions to Applicants:
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on May 12, 2021 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
It is the applicant’s responsibility to redact (or remove) any personal information from all documents prior to uploading. This includes Social Security Numbers, Date of Birth, and any photos of the applicant.
Foreign Degree: Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, INC. (ACEI). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
EEO Plan 2018-2021
Note: The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal employment opportunity. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law, in any of its policies, procedures or practices.
Discrimination Free Work Environment
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/15035. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency