Manager of Custodial Services
Manager of Custodial ServicesCampus:
201100686Full or Part Time:
YesJob Description Summary:
The overall purpose of this job is to ensure that the cleanliness of all campus buildings and facilities is maintained at a high standard. The position is hands-on, working with and supervising the daily operation of all Husson custodial staff. The Custodial Manager is responsible for overseeing and managing personnel, filling in during staffing shortages, and all other activities associated with custodial services at the University.
This position manages, develops, and leads the custodial staff. Supervisor performs human resource duties such as hiring, training, promoting and dismissal of staff. Supervisor also motivates employees, resolves disputes and conducts performance evaluations. Supervisor coordinates with and manages customers, suppliers, and contracted services as required to best meet the needs of the University. Supervisor is responsible for performance to schedule, budget, safety and quality constraints, requirements, and goals. Supervisor shall develop and distribute periodic reports such as, Key Performance Indicator charts, weekly status reports, work schedules, etc. Supervisor shall also participate in establishing and planning departmental goals, activities, budgets, and schedules.Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage all aspects of the custodial operations to include: scheduling, the establishment of cleaning standards, inspecting work, setting goals, tracking performance, and coordinating the resources to ensure performance and safety.
• Develop and manage a cleaning schedule for each building to ensure that all campus facilities are cleaned and maintained in accordance to the cleaning standards.
• Observe, inspect and evaluate the work of subordinate personnel; check work orders for correct charging of time and materials; monitor work performed ensuring compliance with established plans and specifications and ensures completion in a timely manner.
• Establish, review, manage and approve employee schedules and time cards.
• Train and develop subordinates to more effectively and safely perform their job functions.
• Inspect and evaluate physical condition of facilities, submits work orders to the Facilities Department for painting, repairs and various maintenance issues for deficiencies encountered to ensure facilities are properly maintained.
• Manage contracted labor. Ensure that work is conducted in accordance with Husson’s policies and standards, is completed on schedule and within the established budget and specifications.
• Interview applicants for job vacancies within the department and selects applicants that will best meet the requirements for those positions.
• Manage and assist custodial personnel with daily cleaning and snow removal to support operations and provides assistance with their job functions of maintaining the cleanliness standards and providing an attractive, appealing environment.
• Lead and participate in continuous and quality improvement and cost-saving activities as needed/required.
• Provide weekly status reports, identify and prepare pertinent reports to track key performance indicators for quality, cost and service.
• Prepare, manage and monitor operating and personnel budgets. Monitor expenditures, stay within budgetary guidelines as well as ensure appropriate levels of personnel, supplies, equipment and materials are available to safely and efficiently complete tasking
• Recommend and implement cost-saving strategies.
• Prepare bid spec, acquires and evaluate multiple bids to ensure Husson is receiving the best value for products, materials, and services procured.
• Ensure that work performed is of high quality.
• Acquire and monitor feedback from customers and make corrections were necessary to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction.
• Participate in various campus committees and representing the department (ex. Safety, Science Safety, Residential Life, Sustainability, and Commencement)
• Work closely with coordinator to ensure that work requests are properly prioritized and scheduled. Safety and Compliance
• Actively ensures compliance with departmental, University, local, state and federal safety rules, regulations, and laws by ensuring all employees are trained and adhere to required policies and practices.
• Ensure that all required licenses and permits are maintained and are adhered to by preparing and submitting necessary documents to local, state and federal agencies for permits and licenses.
• Organize, plan and direct all in-house training programs for custodians for the purpose of ensuring safety, proper cleaning and building maintenance techniques, proper use of cleaning chemicals and supplies, proper use of equipment, injury prevention, and legal compliance.
• Respond to emergencies for the purpose of determining and implementing appropriate actions required to resolve situations.
• Has working knowledge of all Microsoft Office software and able to learn and use institutional software systems. Maintain and manage electronic filing system.Education and Experience:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Education: Associates Degree preferred.
Experience: Five years supervisory experience, eight years preferred, in custodial or similar work history with demonstrated leadership and supervising abilities. Proficiency with Microsoft Office preferred.
Other Skills and Requirements:
•Valid driver’s license
•Strong leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills
•Ability to work independently or with a team, and maintain cohesion of custodial and supervisory team
•Reliable attendance and diligence to the job at hand
•Must be willing and able to be on campus during any shift as needs arise
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to continuously stand, walk, and climb stairs. The employee is also required to frequently balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach and work overhead, lift and carry50 pounds, talk, and use hands to finger, handle, and/or feel. The employee is also required to occasionally sit, crawl, climb, and use ladders (up to 6 feet in height), as well as push and pull equipment on wheels that weighs up to 300 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
This position may require the employee to use computers, hand tools, power tools, vehicles, yard equipment, and various other equipment as required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
There is a risk of exposure to the following: chemical, mechanical, or electrical hazards; dusts, fumes, or odors; wet, humid, and/or cold conditions; high, precarious places; and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee may occasionally be required to work irregular hours.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Each employee shall use care in the performance of his/her duties and act in a manner that will assure maximum safety to themselves, fellow employees, and the public. All unsafe conditions, accidents and injuries shall be reported immediately to the supervisor.
*This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Tasks may be added, deleted or altered as organizational needs evolve, and employee may be required to follow any other instruction, and to perform any other related duties, that may be required by their supervisor.Open Until Filled:
YesQuick Link to Posting: