STEPS Business Coach
STEPS Business CoachRequisition Number:
3J532:STEPS Temporary EmploymentWork Location:
This position will be located in Bell County, but will serve the following counties: Bell, Harlan, Letcher, Perry, Leslie, Clay, Knox, and WhitleySalary Range:
$30-34Type of Position:
TemporaryPosition Time Status :
Sitting for long periods of time.Shift:
Full-time hoursJob Summary:
• Helping entrepreneurs with overall business plan development and strategy.
• Helping entrepreneurs develop business strategies and mitigate risks around new products, services, and/or processes.
• Perform training workshops on a consistent basis
• Coaching entrepreneurs through launching new businesses and growing or diversifying mature businesses.
• Consulting on topics such as exporting, product development, raising capital, and federal contracting.
• Connecting clients to key resources for technical and financial support.
• Facilitating sessions to help entrepreneurs develop appropriate business models, business plans, financial projections, cash flow models, marketing plans, loan packaging, core processes, and customer relationships.
• Conducting market research and competitive analysis
• Identifying and contacting small and medium-sized businesses, assessing their needs, and proposing and delivering solutions to enhance and expand their businesses.
• Keeping up to date with current entrepreneurial trends, market opportunities and skills training. Possess an understanding of the entrepreneurial mind-set and the role entrepreneurial skills play in economic development.
• Delivering various services as required associated with federal programs and awards.
• Collaborating with other units of the host organization, the Kentucky SBDC and other Kentucky SBDC locations, partners, chambers of commerce, local economic development agencies and lenders.
• Building and maintaining close professional relationships with small businesses throughout Kentucky. Must be able to work collaboratively and effectively with partner organizations, including hosts, state and federal resource partners.
• Preference will be given to candidates with experience as entrepreneurs, in small start-up settings, or with experience advising new businesses through the startup process.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Contact small businesses to primarily promote the services of the Kentucky Small Business Development Center (SBDC).
• Identify market opportunities and assist in the development of business strategies.
• Develop new services based on demonstrated client needs.
• Maintain current records of client firms, proposals, project status, and timesheets using a PC-based customer relationship management system.
• Participate in meetings and events of small businesses in the areas served.
• Demonstrated understanding of how entrepreneurship and related activities serve to strengthen and grow Kentucky’s economy
• Must be a highly motivated self-starter who works well in an independent setting
• Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively
• Ability to analyze and solve problems
• Ability to manage projects effectively
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products with an emphasis on Excel
• Ability to travel with a valid driver’s license
NoDeadline to Apply:
05/17/2021University Community of Inclusion:
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.