Asc VP Sponsored Program Admin
Job Title: Asc VP Sponsored Program Admin
Location: Augusta University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 226049
The position is responsible for leading the Division of Sponsored Programs Administration, overseeing all aspects of proposal review and submission, negotiation of award terms and conditions, compliance with administrative and fiscal award terms, and identifying and resolving issues through the life-cycle of an award. The AVP, Sponsored Programs Administration will also be responsible for responding to the needs of researchers, supporting research processes, infrastructure, and procedures in place at AU. Work collaboratively with AU Executives, Deans, the Office of Legal Affairs, and Leadership to foster a positive, productive, and growing research environment. Serving ex officio as the Executive Director for AURI, a separate 501(C)3 organization, this position will work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, providing quarterly reports, and an annual operating budget. He/she will provide recommendations and opportunities for reinvestment in AU research programs, research incentive programs and be responsible for responding to and supporting the recommendations of Leadership.
This position oversees and collaborates with AU Executives, Deans, and leaders as well as external sponsors and agencies to ensure compliance, efficient execution, and cooperation in the execution and management of sponsored programs/projects. He/she will also be responsible for collaborating with other research stakeholders in cooperative coordination of financial and non-financial award management, contract negotiations (i.e. material transfer, DUA, and clinical trial awards, etc.), sub-award management, export controls, biosafety, COI, effort certification, Uniform Guidance and Single Audit compliance. The position is responsible for maintaining knowledge of and responding to changes in federal government requirements, sponsor terms and conditions, shifting levels of funding, and the financial and cash management of sponsored projects. He/she will oversee administrative processes, lead strategic planning, and develop strategic initiatives for sponsored programs administration. They will be responsible for developing goals, objectives, and strategies and implementing operational plans in accordance with the direction of the AU Research Strategic Plan.Responsibilities Administrative & Financial Functions
- Oversees daily administration of the Division of Sponsored Programs Administration, oversight of all Sponsored Program activities, development of effective administrative compliance procedures, assurance of proper resource allocation, identifying funding sources, funding acquisition, regulatory compliance, recordkeeping, and systems for all grants and awards.
- As Executive Director for AURI, the incumbent will develop, oversee, and manage the AURI accounts, expenses, and budget, ensuring the following:
- Preparation and completion of quarterly reports and annual summaries.
- Preparation of annual budget and planned development/investment opportunities.
- Provision of support for annual external audit processes
- Management and oversight for all expenses, investments, and acquisitions.
- Oversee the complete life-cycle of sponsored programs administration, including but not limited to:
- Pre-award responsibilities for coordination, review and approval of documents requiring institutional/administrative approval.
- All regulatory and compliance office requirements as required by law, policy, or agreement/grant/contract have been met.
- Award receipt and account establishment, expense monitoring, re-budgeting
- Account closeout activities
- Developmental of report to ensure compliance with requirements of sponsors, local, state, or federal sponsors/agencies
- Effort reporting
- Development and negotiation of AU’s federal Facilities and Administrative Cost Rate Agreement.
- Maintain and expand research/contract opportunities and provide on-going support for the development of grant and contract opportunities.
- Overseeing processes leading to Facilities and Administrative Rate setting
- Support Office of Innovation and Commercialization in completion of CDAs, MTAs, and DUAs.
- Oversee administration logistics of AU Pilot Grants
- Provide oversight to AURI Research Incentive Program
- Oversee management of Research Residual Balance Accounts
- Oversee Import/Export Policies and Administration
- Provide leadership, direction, and management of all staff and activities within the Division of Sponsored Programs Administration ensuring that all contractual and financial obligations are managed and compliant with institutional, state, and federal regulations.
- Responsible for the overall direction and effective management of the Division of Sponsored Programs Administration including hiring, training, supporting, developing, and supervising personnel.
- Allocate workload to maximize Division effectiveness.
- Facilitate professional growth of staff by accurately assessing learning needs, styles, and barriers to learning and coordinating learning opportunities for staff. Provide opportunities for ongoing professional development for self and staff while maintaining a collegial working environment.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external constituents such as Vice Presidents, Deans, Faculty, etc. in the development and implementation of AU goals and objectives
- Participate in AU committees and meetings.
- Represent AU at local, state, and national meetings pertaining to sponsored projects.
- Serve as a resource for AU investigators and leaders ensuring that they have the information needed to effectively and compliantly obtain, manage, and close grants and contracts.
- Work collaboratively with the University’s Office of Legal Affairs to ensure efficient, effective, and compliant contract review and approval processes and appropriate delegation where appropriate.
- Develop policies and procedures for process improvements and metrics for reporting improvements in all aspects of the Division of Sponsored Programs Administration activities and programs.
- Understand and disseminate information pertaining to local, state, and federal regulations related to sponsored programs administration.
- Create and implement an approved strategic plan to leverage the existing infrastructure while identifying opportunities for further growth and expansion of research programs at AU.
- Develop institutional policies to be consistent with USG, state, and federal guidelines.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Doctoral degree from an accredited college or university
- Certified Public Accountant
- Law Degree (although it is noted that the incumbent will NOT be functioning as an attorney or paralegal)
- Certified Research Administrator
- Generally accepted accounting principles and financial standards
- Human resource practices
- Corporate-sponsored research and federal awards processes and compliance regulations
- Comprehensive knowledge of Uniform Guidance and state and federal procurement regulations
- Electronic proposal process
- Prepare budgets with realistic cost share and indirect cost recovery
- Strong computer skills with ability to master financial research systems
- Strategic thinking with the ability to manage multiple projects and initiatives, both collaborative and independently
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Excellent team player with demonstrated leadership ability
- Leadership skills that encourage teamwork and participative decision making skills
- Able to assist internal and external auditors with pertinent data and information essential to completing required and special audits.
Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.