At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first and foremost, for assisting students in every way.
We are currently seeking a Full-Time Advising Associate who will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement, and who will provide guidance to students in their educational and career pathway.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Counseling, Social Work, Psychology, Education or other related field.
Preferred: Master’s Degree in (Education) Counseling, Social Work, Psychology, Education or other related field.
Required: 3 years experience working with the public on a professional level.
Preferred: Experience in a public school setting and/or academic advising higher education.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work well with a team or independently.
- Current Microsoft Office Skills (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure of written materials.
- Proficient Communication Skills (Interpersonal, Verbal, and Written).
- Strong Organizational and Collaboration Skills.
- Effective Presentation Skills and Task Prioritization.
- Active Listening Skills.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise students regarding degree requirements, career options, employment possibilities, and transfer issues. Work with department chair to increase completion, graduation, and transfer.
- Evaluate individual education plans and degree plans as required by state stature for students.
- Assist students in the registration process utilizing AC institutional software, and work retention alert items for students to enhance student completion and successful transfer.
- Participate in activities to recruit and retain students.
- Teach classes/seminars as requested by the Director of Advising.
- Participate in cross-training activities within the department or as directed by the Director of Advising.
- Support the continued implementation of the AC Advising Model, in keeping with the Amarillo College mission of Student Success.
- Responsible to be an integral member of the assigned department/program(s).
- Required to attend departmental meetings and advising/recruiting activities as needed.
- Provide timely and accurate communication to Advising Director and department chair regarding registration and transfer efforts.
- Required to maintain a high level of professional at all times, especially when dealing with resistance or hostility, and to provide an exemplary level of customer service to all internal, external customers, vendors, community leaders, etc.
- Participate in and complete performance assessments/evaluations as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to travel between offices and buildings, and requires the ability to lift, carry, push, pull and/or maneuver office supplies as needed.
Working Conditions: Must be willing to work a flexible schedule (days, nights, weekends, holidays, and varying events if necessary.)
Work Environment: This position operates in a professional office environment, routinely uses standard office equipment (i.e. computers, phones, copy and fax machines, filing cabinets) and is in a high traffic area with continual interruptions. Software commonly used includes Microsoft Office, Colleague, Business Objects, and various other educational applications.) Work may also be performed outside of the office and with little to no supervision.
Travel Expectations: Some travel may be required for this position.
Salary: Aligned with the current published salary scale for the represented position grade, commensurate with experience. Select the Position Grade below to view published salary schedule.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO APPLY
In order to be considered for the position, please provide the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- At least 3 professional references with contact information.
- Provide the transcript that notes the highest degree earned.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.