Senior Professional Research Assistant
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS
Colorado School of Public Health
Department of Epidemiology
SENIOR PROFESSIONAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Sr. PRA)
DATA MANAGER / ANALYST
The University of Colorado l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds. NATURE OF WORKThe Department of Epidemiology, Colorado School of Public Health (ColoradoSPH), University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, has an opening for a full-time data manager/analyst position at the rank of Senior Professional Research Assistant (Sr. PRA).The Colorado School of Public Health is a collaborative endeavor involving the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (CU Anschutz), Colorado State University (CSU), and the University of Northern Colorado (UNC). The Colorado School of Public Health is the first and only accredited school of public health in the Rocky Mountain Region, attracting top tier faculty and students from across the country, and providing vital contributions towards ensuring our region’s health and wellbeing. Collaboratively formed in 2008 by CU Denver, CSU and UNC, the Colorado School of Public Health provides training, innovative research and community service to actively address public health issues including chronic disease, access to healthcare, environmental threats, emerging infectious diseases, and costly injuries. The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado, the largest academic health center in the Rocky Mountain region and one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. Currently home to 25,000 employees, more than 5,000 degree-seeking students and two nationally recognized hospitals that handle 1.7 million patient visits each year, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future, carries out a broad range of research, and cares for the state’s children, adults, and veterans. CU Anschutz features schools of medicine, pharmacy, dental medicine and public health, a college of nursing and a graduate school.This posting is for a full-time Senior PRA - Data Manager/Analyst. The Data Manager/Analyst will perform duties to support the Study to Explore Early Development. The main responsibilities include performing data coding, initial and confirmatory analyses, and data documentation for SEED collaborators, and contributing to manuscript preparation. SUPERVISION RECEIVEDThe Senior PRA position will be supervised by Dr. Sarah Schmiege, the lead biostatistician on the team. SUPERVISION EXERCISEDThe Senior PRA position will have no supervisory responsibilities. EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMEDThe Senior PRA - Data Manager/Analyst in this position will contribute to the development of appropriate analysis plans in support of research priorities, conduct data coding, analysis, visualization, and documentation for primary and confirmatory analyses, and implement data sharing and reproducibility policies. The incumbent will also contribute to the implementation of data management systems such as merging, cleaning, querying, and quality checks of data from various platforms and may contribute to the design of databases and data storage systems. The person in this position should be willing to develop competency in common data ontologies and the creation of data dictionaries. This individual is expected to contribute to abstracts, oral and poster presentations, and scientific manuscripts. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and experience of statistical analysis principles relevant to epidemiological research and their application using statistical software (e.g., SAS,R, STATA, or SPSS); specifically ability to apply concepts of multiple regression, including confounding, statistical interactions, model selection, model fit, and regression diagnostics, in fitting and evaluating statistical models.
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and experience with management of large data sets, quality control, reproducibility, and data manipulation techniques using statistical software.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems and develop appropriate analysis plans.
- Ability to prepare data reports, including interpreting statistics and visualizing data through tables and figures.
- Competency with relational databases.
- Experience creating databases from multiple data sources.
- Understanding of HIPAA and IRB requirements for epidemiologic research and programming.
- Good organizational skills across multiple projects, ability to manage own workload, self-directed and detail-oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive attitude and the ability to establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships with a variety of investigators and colleagues.
- MS or MPH in epidemiology, biostatistics or a related area by the start date of the position OR at least 2 yrs. of work experience in data management and analysis combined with graduate coursework in quantitative research design and statistical analysis.
- Previous experience with data management and data analysis.
- Experience with statistical software language(s) (i.e., SAS, R, STATA or SPSS), including generation of reproducible code and data visualization through tables and figures.
- At least one year of work experience in data management and analysis
- Experience working in a public health research environment
- Demonstrated ability to successfully contribute to the data management and statistical analysis elements of multiple projects simultaneously
- Evidence of strong programming skills
- Experience with relational databases
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Apr 27, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing