Professional Research Assistant
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS
Colorado School of Public Health
Lifecourse Epidemiology of Adiposity and Diabetes (LEAD) Center
Professional Research Assistant (PRA)
Data ManagerApplications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careersThe University of Colorado l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds. Nature of WorkThe Colorado School of Public Health (ColoradoSPH) has an opening for a full-time position at the rank of Professional Research Assistant (PRA). The PRA / Data Manager I will perform duties to support the Lifecourse Epidemiology of Adiposity and Diabetes (LEAD) Center. The main responsibilities include database creation, QAQC reporting, data curation and development of derived variables and analytic datasets.The LEAD Center is a groundbreaking research center that investigates and seeks to understand the developmental origins of health and disease, particularly obesity, type 1 and type 2 diabetes and the complex interplay of environmental exposures, genetic and epigenetic processes in critical developmental periods in across the lifecourse. LEAD scientists work with data from multiple human cohort studies housed within the Center (Healthy Start, Environmental influences on Child Health Outcomes [ECHO], Exploring Perinatal Outcomes among Children [EPOCH], SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth, Diabetes in Children, Adolescents, and Young Adults [DiCAYA], and Diabetes Prevention Program Outcome Study [DPPOS]).The Colorado School of Public Health is a collaborative endeavor involving the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (CU Anschutz), Colorado State University (CSU), and the University of Northern Colorado (UNC). The Colorado School of Public Health is the first and only accredited school of public health in the Rocky Mountain Region, attracting top tier faculty and students from across the country, and providing vital contributions towards ensuring our region’s health and wellbeing. Collaboratively formed in 2008 by CU Denver, CSU and UNC, the Colorado School of Public Health provides training, innovative research and community service to actively address public health issues including chronic disease, access to healthcare, environmental threats, emerging infectious diseases, and costly injuries. The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado, the largest academic health center in the Rocky Mountain region and one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. Currently home to 25,000 employees, more than 5,000 degree-seeking students and two nationally recognized hospitals that handle 1.7 million patient visits each year, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future, carries out a broad range of research, and cares for the state’s children, adults, and veterans. CU Anschutz features schools of medicine, pharmacy, dental medicine and public health, a college of nursing and a graduate school. Supervision ReceivedThis position will report directly to Brandy Ringham, Senior Data Manager for the LEAD Center. Supervision ExercisedNone Examples of Work Performed
- Ensure study data are stored and used in a HIPAA compliant manner.
- Use SAS and SQL code to clean, conduct quality control and develop datasets.
- Create and update forms/tables/queries for Access and RedCap databases according to the needs of staff and study investigators.
- Automate RedCap data entry, where possible, using SAS, R and Windows batch files.
- Periodically audit data sources for active studies to ensure incoming data are complete and are represented accurately in LEAD Center databases. Communicate with staff to perform necessary corrections.
- Organize and document incoming stand-alone datasets provided by outside parties that collect/process LEAD Center data.
- Perform data cleaning, incorporate externally provided datasets, create derived variables and document data processes across multiple studies within the LEAD Center.
- Create and maintain “data pull” systems that will periodically update analysis datasets for ongoing studies, allowing investigators to access the most current information.
- Provide summary reports of recruitment and participant demographics for regulatory/funding agencies.
- Communicate with investigators and data repository representatives to provide information on data collection procedures, database meta-information and de-identified datasets.
- Initiate data sharing and biospecimen sharing agreements and maintain a log of collaborators using LEAD Center data or specimens.
- Maintain a large inventory of biological specimens, which includes tracking specimen amounts and locations using an electronic inventory database, ensuring the fidelity of the electronic specimen database, creating periodic inventory reports and providing lists of sample locations upon request.
- Audit the physical locations of biospecimens and assist with sample retrieval, preparation and return. Note that this task requires the ability to walk short distances (approximately ½ mile), lift up to 20lbs and perform fine motor movements to pipette liquid from one container to another.
- Experience in a public health research environment.
- Familiar with Redcap, including creating forms, exporting/importing data and summarizing data using the RedCap report tool.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office products, including Excel, Word and Access.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated expertise in SAS programming or other languages/syntaxes commonly used in data management.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 1+ years of experience in a research environment.
- Master’s degree and 1+ years of experience in a public health research environment.
- Experience with SAS, SQL and R preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Good organization skills and high attention to detail.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Apr 27, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing