Professional Research Assistant
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO DENVER
Professional Research Assistant
Human Immunology and Immunotherapy Initiative
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, University of Colorado Denver
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Nature of WorkThe Professional Research Assistant (PRA) will process clinical biospecimens, including those from COVID-19+ patients, for use in downstream immune-based assays to assist in monitoring patient responses to immunotherapy, discovery of novel biomarkers for response to treatment, and identification of rationale for future combinatorial clinical trials in autoimmunity and cancer. This position will be part of the Human Immune Monitoring Shared Resource (HIMSR) facility directed by Drs. Jill Slansky and Kimberly Jordan funded by the Human Immunology and Immunotherapy Initiative in the Department of Immunology and Microbiology, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus. Using state-of-the-art instrumentation, the HIMSR facilitates blood and tissue sample processing, cryopreservation, and immune-related assays at the genomic, proteomic, and cellular level. Importantly, the HIMSR supports the integration of acquired experimental data with clinical outcomes and endpoints. The successful candidate for this PRA position will be detail-oriented, well organized, able to work under supervision and in a team environment, capable of following strict Standard Operating Procedures for routine assays, and capable of interpreting experiment results in the development of new assays. Experience and background in basic clinical laboratory techniques, handling biologic fluids and tissue, and organization of biorepositories are highly desired. Professional FieldBS or BA in biology or related fieldsSupervision ReceivedYes, by the Directors of HIMSRSupervision ExercisedNoExamples of Work Performed
- Provide general support to manager and users of the HIMSR.
- Maintain the laboratory and equipment in working and clean conditions.
- Maintain laboratory compliance to safety regulations.
- Collect, accurately record and analyze data in conjunction with other research staff.
- Communicate effectively with clinical coordinators to obtain biologic samples.
- Organize clinical sample intake, processing, labeling, and storage, including those from COVID-19+ patients.
- Follow strict SOPs for ELISA assays and multiplex immunoassays, flow cytometry, mass cytometry analyses, and cellular assays such as ELISPOT, proliferation, cytotoxicity and any other assays the PRA is assisting with.
- Maintain a reagents and materials database and oversee inventory and ordering.
- Maintain meticulous laboratory records, supplies, and sample records.
Minimum RequirementsOne year of experience working in a laboratory environment. BS or BA in biology or related fields.Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire. Preferred QualificationsA minimum of one year work experience in a clinical research setting handling biologic samples.Knowledge, Skills, and AbilitiesBasic tissue culture techniques, immunoassays (ELISA, ELISPOT), computer software, ability to multitask, ability to learn new procedures and follow instruction.Special Conditions of Employment:This position may require occasional extended hours and/or time outside normal working hours.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Apr 26, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing