Administrative Specialist II
Job no: 516475
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:28050000 - VM-PHY SCI
Administrative Spec IIJob Description:
This position manages and implements administrative logistical functions for the Department of Physiological Sciences including, but not limited to:
- Serves as liaison for the chair within the department, CVM administration offices and other CVM departments, as well as other colleges and departments within the university system.
- Develops and monitors departmental operating budgets and requests. Negotiates contracts for various goods and services.
- Supervises and coordinates personnel actions, including personnel recruitment, faculty itineraries, requests for offer letters, appointments, and salary distribution changes, onboarding/training, and annual compliance requirements for faculty, postdoctoral associates, graduate assistants, USPS/TEAMS employees and OPS staff as well as reviews payroll lists bi-weekly.
- Assists with set up of new research labs as necessary.
- Assists faculty and managers within the department on writing position descriptions for USPS/TEAMS employees and OPS staff hires.
- Manages department’s complex human resource functions for academic personnel, TEAMS/USPS, Courtesy faculty, and OPS employees.
- Manages confidential disclosure of outside activities and financial Interests reporting and forms.
- Maintains faculty leave status lists to inform department of dates away from campus for faculty leave, travel and other activities.
- Supervises and coordinates personnel actions including personnel recruitment, requests for offer letters, appointments, and salary distribution changes for faculty, postdoctoral associated, graduate assistants, USPS/TEAMS employees and OPS staff.
- Coordinates and implements faculty appointments on grants in consultation with the Chair and in compliance with UF’s Cost Principles, Cost Accounting Standards and CAS Exemptions and the OMB Uniform Guidance, and in support of the salary recovery program in the Department.
- Ensures at the department level that Federal and State regulations pertaining to personnel are followed.
- Coordinates expenditures in consultation with the college Financial Services Office to assist the department chair, dean’s office and others in the management of departmental financial affairs.
- Verifies, analyzes, and reports salary savings data for departmental faculty and staff salaries on grants. Assists chair to determine amount to be returned to faculty and department, as well as arranges for funds to be distributed to faculty.
- Interacts with the Office of the Dean and other departments within the College of Veterinary Medicine to resolve budget concerns throughout the year.
- Oversees preparation of annual reports related to Space Allocations and Property Inventory.
The Administrative Specialist appoints and manages departmental administrative staff. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, implementation and coordination of fiscal and HR workloads to support activities and directives of the chair and faculty in support of their personnel, teaching, research, and service responsibilities.
This position provides oversight for optimal functioning of departmental infrastructure:
- Schedules and facilitates maintenance, repairs, and renovations for the departmental buildings with PPD and other vendors.
- Facilitates conflict resolution between personnel to help parties reach a satisfying resolution in their dispute.
- Coordinates and implements faculty and staff appointments in consultation with the Office of the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Students in compliance with Circular A-21 guidelines in support of the salary recovery program to fund graduate student training in the Department.
- Advises and assists faculty in the preparation of Promotion and Tenure dossiers. Provides quality control review to insure that documents are in order prior to submission to the Dean’s office and the College Promotion and Tenure Committee.
- Coordinates administration of student evaluations of teaching for professional and graduate courses taught by departmental faculty.
- Maintains and updates current information on University policies and procedures. Advises faculty and staff on appropriate department, college, university, state and federal regulations.
The Administrative Specialist develops agendas for the technical and USPS/TEAMS staff meetings and presides at these meetings where important updates on personnel-related information is presented and information sharing and problem-solving ideas are discussed among staff.
This person shall attend faculty meetings and report on departmental issues.
This position facilitates communication with the International Center and provides support to faculty and staff regarding international matters.
The Administrative Specialist coordinates activities of department and college technical and office staff in securing appropriate maintenance and repair of computer equipment, telephone service, laboratory equipment and other equipment located in common-use rooms.Expected Salary:
$46,000 - $53,000Minimum Requirements:
Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Knowledge of UF, IFAS, and Health Center regulations and policies.
- Knowledge of administrative principles and practices.
- Knowledge of personnel, payroll, travel, contract and grants, and teach procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to coordinate assignments and manage personnel.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to prepare correspondence and administrative reports.
- Ability to collect, evaluate, and analyze data.
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and make decisions.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume, and list of references.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 26 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 10 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time