Biological Scientist II
Job no: 516479
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Research/Scientific/Grants
Department:28090000 - VM-SACS
Biological Scientist IIJob Description:
Support of principal investigators in projects involving both client-owned and research animals and cadavers. Assist them in the conduct of research projects in areas relating to oncological surgical techniques and pancreatic physiology and pathophysiology. Typical assignments for the research laboratory include the following:
- Assist in directing, coordinating, and organizing laboratory activities
- The incumbent will be trained to perform glucose-clamps, glucose and insulin tolerance tests, and and other similar techniques for studying whole-body metabolism in cats and dogs. The incumbent should have training and experience in low-stress handling and physical restrain of cats and dogs as well as sample collection (including venipuncture, cystocentesis, etc.), catheterization, calculating fluid rates and other techniques.
- Assist in managing laboratory teams and/or monitor the quality of a team’s work; assist in supervising or direction the work of other scientists, technicians, and other workers and evaluating the accuracy of their results; assist in teaching or advising undergraduate or graduate students or supervising their research
- Assist with instructing undergraduate, graduate, and medical students in methods or procedures
- Assist in design sampling plans or coordinating the collection of samples
- Collect, process and manage storage of biological samples (blood, urine, feces and tissues)
- Modify laboratory experiments; oversee their execution; and assist in reviewing, approving, or interpreting results
- Aid in acquisition of research animals and cadaveric specimens
- Management and organization of cadaveric specimens and live animal colonies
- Monitor the health and status of research animals and provide care (injectable and oral medications)
- Assist in drafting IACUC applications.
- Modify existing computational approaches and analytical tools as required by research goals
- Participate in biological research programs for government, research firms, medical industries, or manufacturing firms supporting the investigators
- Provide scientific services for clients in a clinic, laboratory, or research setting
- Conduct biological research in accordance with stipulated protocols and quality and safety standards
- Conduct experimental studies with live specimens in controlled or natural surrounding
- Collect and /or dissect specimens; examine specimens grossly and/or under microscope
- Laboratory animal care and oversight: The incumbent consistently will monitor the health and status of research cats and dogs, provide routine care as dictated by research projects (including daily administration of injectable and oral medications), and coordinate and supervise support personnel to help with animals and projects. The incumbent acts as a liaison between the PIs and Animal Care Services and IACUC. Accurate and proper record keeping is mandatory. Previous animal experience and familiarity with dogs and cats is necessary.
- Perform enzyme linked immunosorbent assays. The candidate should have good knowledge of immunology, understand the process by which the ELISA procedure works, understand how to validate an ELISA and should know how to properly collect, store and process or if necessary, extract the samples for measurement.
- The incumbent requires technical knowledge of histological techniques. The incumbent should know how to properly collect, process and store samples for immunohistochemistry procedures and how to perform immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence. The incumbent should know how to perform quantitative analysis of immunolabeled tissues using digital analyses, and preparing graphical or tabular summaries of quantitative data.
- The incumbent will be trained in various molecular analysis techniques in the laboratory; experience with cell culture, RNA-seq, RNA extraction techniques is encouraged but not necessary.
- Analysis of research data: The incumbent should have training in statistics and experimental design and be able to design, perform and analyze studies independently. The incumbent should have experience conceiving research ideas, coordinating the sample collection, and analyzing results. The incumbent will use computer software to statistically analyze and graph research results.
Clinical Research Duties:
- Schedule and coordinate appointments for clinical trial patients
- Assist PIs in collecting history from owners, performing physical exams and obtaining samples (blood, urine, feces and others).
- Samples processing and banking
- Assist PIs in special procedures (endoscopy, surgery, etc.)
- Research laboratory: Will supervise the general operations of the laboratory. This will include: maintaining equipment use schedules, maintaining inventory, purchasing supplies (setting up accounts, placing orders, assuring proper arrival and charging of accounts), complying with EH&S requirements (disposal and record keeping of controlled substances, hazardous chemicals, detailed logs of laboratory activities), routine maintenance of equipment and laboratory order and cleanliness, and preparing written protocols and supply lists.
- UF procedures and policies – complete a variety of ad hoc and routine training on an annual basis to insure the safe and proper functioning of the laboratory. Training must be completed within the time lines established by entities within the University of Florida or as specified by funding institutions.
- Supervisory skills: will directly supervise, volunteers, students or fellows/residents.
- Computer skills: will use word, excel, power point, adobe design suite (photoshop, illustrator, and in-design), statistical software (SPSS, GraphPad Prism), and reference managing software (endnote).
Other duties – all other duties as per assigned according to the Supervisors.Expected Salary:
$36,000 - $45,000Minimum Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in biology or a closely related field and three years of relevant experience; or a Master's degree in biology or a closely related field and one year of relevant experience; Doctoral degree in biology or a closely related field.Preferred Qualifications:
- Registered/Licensed/Certified Veterinary Technician
- Laboratory experience in handling biological samples for microscopy studies (immunohistochemistry, staining, and imaging), protein extraction and immunoblot studies
- RNA extraction and PCR studies
- Animal handling experience with mice, dogs and cats
- Using standard laboratory equipment preferred.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume, and list of references.
This position is time-limited.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 26 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 17 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time