Laboratory Technician I
Job no: 516488
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Health Profession, Veteran's Preference Eligible
Department:29081100 - MD-PATH - UF PATH LABS
Laboratory Technician IJob Description:
The Laboratory Technician works to support research for an international Diabetes research network. Primary focus is the receipt, processing, and distribution of human specimens to laboratories as well as specimen archival and retrieval. Serves as backup for unit Program Assistant as necessary.
- Specimen processing including, labeling, aliquoting, shipping, and archival of specimens for TrialNet research project.
- Unit responsibilities include receipt, accessioning, and labeling of human samples for the NIH funded TrialNet Type I Diabetes Research project. Database entry of HIPAA compliant specimen receipt, documenting courier air bill, shipping information, study identifier, physician submitters, all test numbers, and specific identification information.
- Operation and maintenance of UF TrialNet database including data transfers to/from the TrialNet Coordinating Center at the University of South Florida.
- Client services interactions for the TrialNet Type I Diabetes Research Project, including but not limited to sample status inquiry by telephone or facsimile from all physician submitters and/or designated Affiliate Clinical Centers, locating and resolving any discrepant and/or missing samples or data inconsistencies through creative problem solving.
- Quality assurance procedures for specimen identifiers which involve the proofreading and editing of all specimen submissions.
- Monthly creation of established quality assurance data related to TrialNet research project operations.
- Maintain Diabetes specimen repository including assuring equipment maintenance and maintenance of archive database.
- Additional specimen retrieval projects including the distribution (shipment) of specimens as required by TrialNet project.
- Other duties as assigned.
$15.00 per hourMinimum Requirements:
Associate’s degree in an appropriate area; or a high school diploma or equivalent and two years of related experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Professional communication skills
- Ability to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Ability to quickly learn various aspects of laboratory operations
- Knowledge of various tests offered by the DRL
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
This is a time limited position.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 27 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 11 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time