Small Animal Internal Medicine Technician I/II (CARE)
Job no: 516487
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Veteran's Preference Eligible
Department:28311400 - VM-MEDICINE
Small Animal Internal Medicine Technician I/II (CARE)Job Description:
The University of Florida Small Animal Hospital is recruiting a Veterinary Technician for their Internal Medicine service. We are seeking an individual who is interested in providing exemplary patient care, teaching veterinary students and maintaining outstanding communication with both clients and referring veterinarians. The successful applicant will be responsible for assisting with the care of Internal Medicine patients, including providing nursing care, assisting clinicians in performing diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, and instructing veterinary students in routine procedures such as venipuncture and cystocentesis.
A technician in this position:
• is self-motivated
• maintains a positive attitude at work
• maintains an effective working relationship with clinicians, coworkers, students, and clients
• is expected to communicate effectively, demonstrate critical thinking, and professionalism
• has the desire to learn and develop their skills and capabilities
• is proficient in phlebotomy and IV catheter placement among a variety of other skills
• must provide exemplary patient care
Overall an access to the wide range of treatments and services offered through this service makes it a great opportunity for those considering or already have their specialization (VTS).
Typical schedule will be Monday - Friday. Schedule may change due to covering other shifts. Usual hours will be between 7:30am and 6:00pm but may require working earlier or later.
This position is considered essential personnel and will be a part of the emergency response team
This position requires a background check and health assessmentExpected Salary:
$15.00 to $18.00 per hour; commensurate with experience.Minimum Requirements:
Veterinary Technician I:
High school diploma or equivalent and two years of veterinary experience or one year of veterinary experience and currently enrolled in a veterinary technician program or a graduate of a veterinary technician program.
Veterinary Technician II:
Credentialed veterinary technician and four years of veterinary experience.Preferred Qualifications:
• Credentialed veterinary technician
• Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and terminology
• Knowledge of the equipment and materials used and their availability and applications
• Demonstrate consistent professional conduct and meticulous attention to detail
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills with patients, staff, and other members of the patient care team
• Critical thinking skills and a positive attitude; Able to think independently and demonstrate good problem solving skills
• Excellent customer service skills; excellent verbal, listening, and written communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Able to work in a team environment and collaborate with a variety of personnel in a positive manner
• Ability to effectively maintain a working environment while in stressful situations
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume, and a list of references. Please include a copy of your credentials if applicable.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (EDT) of the posting end date.
This is a CARE position offering limited benefits, including health insurance and paid time off.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply.Health Assessment Required:
Must be able to lift up to fifty pounds.
Must be able to bend, kneel, pull, push, twist and stand for extended periods of time.
Advertised: 27 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 10 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time