Teaching Lab Specialist II
Job no: 516481
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Education/Instructional
Department:60100000 - AG-MICROBIOLOGY / CELL SCI
Teaching Lab Specialist IIJob Description:
The Teaching Lab Specialist II in the Microbiology & Cell Science department at IFAS/ UF will organize and direct the activities of the teaching lab prep room. This includes maintaining various biological resources, supplies, and supervising personnel essential for the lab to function effectively and efficiently. Successful candidates must be committed to working with diverse student and community populations.
- Maintain the teaching prep room and teaching classrooms in excellent order. This includes ordering, maintaining, and storing all scientific materials and equipment, categorize all chemicals based on proper safety guidelines, update Gator Tracs on all sensitive scientific materials including SOP’s and Chemical Hygiene Plans. Responsible for annual EH&S and bio safety inspections as well as annual inventory (equipment, chemical, etc.) Ensures lab compliance with all biosafety and lab safety regulations.
- Ensure compliance with federal regulations for hazardous waste disposal. Serves as department biosafety officer/ safety coordinator and Microbiology Teaching Lab Hazardous Waste Manager. Trains all undergraduate, graduate, student assistant, and OPS workers on proper hazard waste disposal.
- Instruct staff in quality control and analytical procedures and monitor performance of quality control systems to ensure effectiveness and efficiency. Direct maintenance and repair of lab equipment. Organize and outsource calibration of equipment, train student assistants, OPS, and teaching assistants on basic calibration techniques and quality control. Monitors viability and maintains pure microbial stocks, lab equipment, and classrooms. Communicate quality control information to all relevant organizational departments, outside vendors, or contractors. Conduct brief meetings several times a week with lab PI’s, OPS staff, graduate, and/or undergraduate teaching assistants.
- Prepares operating budgets. Manages student and equipment fees associated with the microbiology lab. Prepares and maintains designated budgets for student projects for more than 1,000 students each semester. Determine ways to save money. Anticipate needed items for students in the first week of classes each semester.
- Researches and evaluates new products, compares and negotiates vendor prices. Conduct cost benefit analysis for new products. Contact and negotiate with a variety of vendors to get the best educational prices for all consumables and lab equipment. Prepares justification for lab equipment requests. Contacts vendors for sponsorship opportunities for department’s undergraduate symposium. Communicates with supervisor and fiscal office about expenses, repair, and equipment updates.
- Develop laboratory procedures. Through collaborations with supervisor and faculty, develop new microbiology lab modules and procedures for 3 lab levels – MCB2000L, MCB3020L, and MCB2023L. May assist with designing other labs/ bootcamps. Update lab procedures based on changes in available instrumentation and tools. Coordinate the developmental safety program for all lab settings. Work with EHS to develop and maintain safety regulations for all changes in lab protocol and lab equipment.
- Review statistical studies, technological advances, or regulatory standards and trends to stay abreast of issues in the field of quality control.
- Supervise and direct the work of student assistants, OPS workers, and teaching assistants.
$40,000 - 46,000 per year - commensurate with experienceMinimum Requirements:
A high school diploma and six years of appropriate experience. Appropriate college coursework may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.Preferred Qualifications:
Master of Science degree or Bachelor of Science degree with 4 years of experience is preferred. Laboratory expertise in DNA preparation, PCR and DNA gel analysis is a must. Knowledge of molecular biology and biochemistry skills as well as to perform specific molecular biology procedures.Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume, and at least 3 professional references.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 06 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 11 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time