Job Title: Custodial Supervisor
Location: Case Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 8818
Working under limited supervision, the custodial supervisor will oversee building service workers who provide routine and special cleaning services in campus buildings and residence halls, including restrooms, bathrooms, offices, classrooms, laboratories, and public areas. The nature and frequency of cleaning is performed according to custodial services’ quality control program. Custodial services strives to provide high quality, customer service oriented cleaning services to the Case Western Reserve University community.
- Plan work in advance so that deadlines are met, building closings are taken advantage of, special events are covered with the proper amount of staff, and special needs of building occupants are addressed. Minimize emergency supply orders by making material plans in advance. Supervise assigned staff (group leaders and service workers). Prioritize the daily workload and maintain a weekly work schedule for each staff member. Ensure that university task frequencies are carried out for both general cleaning and project cleaning tasks. Assign work orders, keys and equipment to the staff so that they may begin activities within 15 minutes of the start of the shift. (30%)
- Frequently inspect all assigned buildings using SmartInspect software for quality control according to university custodial standards. Provide written/digital inspection reports to the custodial operations manager and assistant director. Go over inspections with building service workers to help them improve any deficiencies that were found in their assigned areas. Evaluate the performance of building service workers and provide regular feedback to them. (30%)
- Approve timesheets and enter time in Human Capital Management (HCM) system. Turn in sign in sheets and time reports to custodial manager of business operations. (10%)
- Keep staff members supplied with appropriate materials necessary to perform assigned tasks. Approve and review the drawing of supplies from the satellite stock areas through ordinary procedures. Bring discrepancies to the attention of the assistant director. Notify custodial operations manager of any equipment that is not working properly and may need to be repaired. (5%)
- With prior approval of the assistant director, resolve human resource issues regarding building service workers according to departmental and university procedures. Write annual performance reviews for assigned staff members, initiate corrective action, promote employee recognition programs, and address staff grievances. Participate in the hiring process. Recommend appropriate training programs for building service workers, conduct one-on-one training, and seek assistance from the custodial operations manager or assistant director when needed. (5%)
- Meet with building occupants to ensure that services are performed in a satisfactory manner to schedule major project work and to identify special programs which require special support. (5%)
- Communicate daily with the custodial operations manager or assistant director to report on achievements, progress and problems. Actively seek out and suggest improvements to operations. Participate in weekly supervisory meetings with building service workers. (3%)
- Provide assistance, training and direction when needed so that work objectives are accomplished in a safe, complete, efficient and timely manner. Work with and train new employees in the proper procedures of cleaning and maintaining their areas. Ensure that building service workers attend required safety training per the schedule provided by the department of safety services. (2%)
- Confirm that staff have properly signed in at the start of shift. Ensure that the assigned building service workers start, break, lunch and cleanup times are followed. Ensure that assigned staff members are productive throughout the shift and that all university safety procedures are followed within the cleaning group. At the end of the shift, check that all keys and equipment are returned in proper condition. Verify that staff have properly signed out. Gather dirty rags and mops and either turn them in or bring them to Cedar Avenue Service Center (CASC) to be laundered in the warehouse. (2%)
- Ensure that the university’s recycling programs are carried out. Identify areas where building occupants are not properly recycling and work with the recycling coordinator and custodial operations manager to increase occupant’s participation. (1%)
- Maintain two-way communication with the base dispatcher, custodial operations manager, assistant director and other supervisors throughout the shift. Evaluate emergency situations, make recommendations, and communicate with the custodial operations manager or assistant director. (2%)
- Assist the custodial operations manager or assistant director in the review of prints and specifications for renovations and additions to university properties. Make recommendations for improved conditions, cost savings, energy conservation and ease of maintenance. Work jointly with the construction group to achieve smooth turnovers of new or remodeled spaces. (1%)
- Communicate and collaborate in a productive manner with other areas of facilities services to expedite service. This position will frequently coordinate activities with the maintenance shops and security (depending on the shift). (2%)
- Duties not restricted to those mentioned. Perform other duties as required. (2%)
Department: Daily contact with department staff and building occupants to maintain workflow, address concerns/ problems, make adjustments to work schedules/ procedures; and to use and interpret established procedures.
University: Occasional contact with maintenance and security staff facilitate and promote joint action/ cooperation
External: Occasional contact with vendors furnish, obtain, or exchange data or information; address concerns following well-established procedures.
Students: Daily contact with students at all levels.
Directly supervise approximately 15 to 20 building service workers and possible 2 to 3 group leaders.
Experience: 5 years of cleaning experience in the commercial cleaning field, preferably at a large institution. At least 2 years of leadership experience in a similar work environment is required.
Education/licensing: High school education. Valid Ohio driver’s license may be needed.
- Ability to read, speak, and understand English.
- Ability to plan ahead to schedule workloads, approve and schedule BSW’s vacations, and redirect workloads due to call offs.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge on all types of floor care experience, knowledge of cleaning different types of surfaces, equipment, and techniques.
- Knowledge with a computer and iPad for email, complete inspections, complete work orders, and to compose reports.
- Ability to meet consistent attendance.
- Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers face to face.
The employee may have occasional exposure to potential hazards such as chemicals, commercial products, fumes, noise, and dust. Typical shifts are 6 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2:30 to 11:30 p.m., 9:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. or assigned shift. Overtime, weekend, and emergency hours may be required. The university is a non-smoking environment. The job requires a lot of walking, bending, stooping, and being outside in all types of weather. The employee will have physical exertion and should be able to lift up to 50 lbs. May be required to drive university vehicle.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Equity at 216-368-3066 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.