Building Service Worker
Job Title: Building Service Worker
Location: Case Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 8817
Custodial Services strives to provide high quality, customer service-oriented cleaning services to the university community. Building service workers provide routine and special cleaning services in campus buildings and residence halls, including restrooms, bathrooms, offices, classrooms, laboratories, and public areas. The nature and frequency of cleaning is performed according to Custodial Services' Quality Control Program.
1. According to the assigned schedule: Clean spaces daily, empty wastebaskets and recycling containers per procedures. Carry trash outside to pick up locations. Turn off lights in unoccupied rooms, lock doors, in all rooms except classrooms, and secure all windows. (18%)
2. Spot clean walls, doors, partitions, switch plates, etc. Sweep, dust mop, wet mop, and spray buff floors. Vacuum and spot clean carpeting. Clean and replenish chalkboard/whiteboards, trays, and erasers. (18%)
3. In restrooms: clean and disinfect sinks, toilets, clean mirrors, mop bathroom floors and showers, complete cleaning daily. Disinfect shower curtain. Clean drinking fountains and emergency eyewashes, etc. Replenish all restroom supplies such as toilet paper, paper towels and soap; Request supplies in reasonable quantities, to avoid shortages and overstocking. Turn in vending funds. Clean interior glass and all types of furniture. (18%)
4. Dust all flat and vertical surfaces and windowsills daily. Dust all surfaces including desks, tables, chairs, file cabinets, windowsills, bookshelves, bookcases, walls, blinds, vent and radiator grills, and remove cobwebs from ceilings and light fixtures. (18%)
5. Clean Venetian blinds, HVAC grills, stairwells, handrails, push bars/plates, kick plates, elevator interiors and tracks, etc. (18%)
1. Communicate daily with supervisor to report achievements, progress, and problems. Actively seek out and suggest improvements to operations. During the daily work shift, report any quality control issues or problems identified in the building to the Supervisor, and if possible, make appropriate recommendations to solve the matter. Recognize when assistance, training, and direction are needed so that work objectives are accomplished in a safe, complete, efficient, and timely manner. Alert the supervisor to these situations and assist as needed. Within assigned buildings, ensure that the
181021 Building Service Worker (SG03,N375)
March 2021 Page 2 of 3
university's recycling programs are carried out. Identify areas where building occupants are not properly recycling and report it to the supervisor. (2%) 2. Keep assigned custodial closets clean and neat. (1%)
3. Be responsible for keys; sign out and then turn in key ring after shift. (1%)
4. Assist coworkers in other areas and buildings when necessary; assist security and maintenance staff during emergencies. (1%)
5. Assist in the coordination of an appropriate level of supplies to assigned buildings avoiding shortages, overstocking, and emergency orders. (1%)
6. Keep track of all equipment assigned to building. Ensure that equipment is maintained in proper condition, and promptly turn equipment in for repair when needed. (1%)
7. Ensure that all university safety procedures are followed within the cleaning group Follow university safety procedures; use appropriate safety gear; use caution when mixing chemicals and operating electrical equipment; immediately report any accidents and injuries to supervisor. (1%)
8. Identify and promptly report problems requiring Security or Maintenance assistance to supervisor. Cooperate with Security at all times and assist as needed in emergencies. (1%)
9. Perform other similar duties as assigned. (1%)
Department: Daily contact with colleagues regarding work to maintain workflow.
University: Daily contact with employees to exchange information.
External: May have contact with visitors on campus to exchange information.
Students: Daily contact with students at all levels to exchange information.
Experience: 3 years of experience required.
Education: High school education required.
1. Must be able to read and follow instructions.
2. Must be familiar with the proper use of cleaning tools, supplies and safety equipment.
3. Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
4. Must be able to pass required physical examination.
181021 Building Service Worker (SG03,N375)
March 2021 Page 3 of 3
5. Must be able to lift and carry up to fifty pounds; engage in frequent walking, standing, bending, stretching, and stair climbing; and operate power equipment such as high speed buffers or auto-scrubbers.
6. Ability to meet consistent attendance.
7. Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors, and customers face to face.
The working environment may have occasional exposure to potential hazards such as chemicals, commercial products, fumes, and dust. Typical shifts are 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. or assigned shift. Overtime and emergency hours may be required. The university is a non-smoking environment. The employee will have physical exertion and should be able to lift up to 50 lbs., appropriate gloves, and protective eyewear will be provided. May be requested to drive university vehicle
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Equity at 216-368-3066 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.