Student Veterinary Assistant - Large Animal
Student Veterinary Assistant - Large AnimalDepartment:
Vet Med VTH Large Animal HospitalAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (https://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.Employment Type:
EmployeeAnticipated Start Date:
04/27/2021Open Until Filled:
YesLocation of Vacancy:
Athens AreaEOO Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Duties/Responsibilities:
- Provide intermediate animal care to patients: water, feed, transport, restrain, groom.
- Administer medication, monitor vital signs, take samples of bodily fluids, either blood or urine.
- Establish effective working relationships with senior veterinary staff and clinicians and assist senior veterinary staff with animal care.
- Individual assists with all aspects of the patient’s treatment and care, has a clear knowledge of the patient’s medical condition, treatment, prognosis and plan.
- Informs attending clinician on any change or decomposition of the patient’s condition in an informed and timely manner.
- When appropriate, is self-motivated to use downtime to not only attend to in house but also to assist other sister units with patient care and treatment.
- Stock supplies of cleaning products and patient care equipment.
- Ensure facility cleanliness with the use of mop, broom, chemical cleaning supplies to sanitize cages and the floors.
This position will give assistance to the senior veterinary technicians and veterinary staff on the care of ill or injured client-owned animals brought to the Veterinary Medicine Teaching Hospital in the hopes of recovery.Relevant/Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification in Position:
- Hands on experience within a general animal healthcare setting working with various species of animals.
- Rabies vaccinated.
- Properly handle and restrain various species of animals.
- Effectively communicate.
- Work in a fast-paced environment while demonstrating excellent customer service, high degree of confidentiality, openness to teaching and providing consultation to a variety of stakeholders.
- Proficient in prioritizing and completing treatments/patient care duties in a timely fashion.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Sit, stoop, bend intermittently during the day on hard floor surfaces.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to accurately work with small, delicate pieces of equipment or large heavy objects/containers/machinery.
- Wear all protective gear including mask, gloves, gown, hairnet, safety goggles etc.
- Work for long periods of time with arms extended.
- Work within an environment that has high levels of animal sounds, bodily fluids that need disposal, and open wound management.
YesDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources? :
NoDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoIs driving a requirement of this position?:
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
YesDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):