IGIB Receiving Manager (5193U) 17830
IGIB Receiving Manager (5193U) 17830 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 5/10/2021
The Innovative Genomics Institute (IGI) is a non-profit, academic research organization formed through the partnership of UC Berkeley and UC San Francisco located on the UC Berkeley campus. At the IGI, we envision a world in which genome engineering innovations benefit humanity and are accessible to all. A key focus is accelerating translation of CRISPR-based approaches to address real-world problems in human health and agriculture.
The Innovative Genomics Institute Building (IGIB) Receiving Manager will handle routine building maintenance and all receiving for the IGIB. They will coordinate with research labs regarding the receipt and storage of equipment, perishable, and nonperishable packages, and maintain an organized and safe receiving area. They will maintain relationships with facilities departments and submit work orders for routine service requests. They will work with the IGI Operations team to maintain an efficient, safe, and presentable building to support research activities in IGIB.
- Responsible for all IGIB's shipping and receiving. -Sorts packages and notifies labs as they arrive, ensures that perishable packages are dealt with promptly. -Matches receipts in Bearbuy for IGI core facilities. -Ensures loading dock is organized and secure, acts as point person for delivery and storage of large equipment items.
- Coordinates maintenance, custodial, grounds and other service requests by Physical Plant Services as well as other outside vendors or organizations, including reconciliation of outstanding service requests. -Uses Maximo to track facilities requests and reports outstanding or overdue issues to Building Operations Manager. -Conducts rounds to inspect for facilities issues and initiates service requests for simple maintenance concerns such as if a light bulb goes out.
- Will serve as "Department Access Key Controller" as defined by the UCPD Access Control Policy, maintaining accurate records of all access control activities, ensuring appropriate authority prior to issuing keys, and ordering replacement keys as needed. Holds vendor keycard and provides to vendors as needed. Serves as a temporary back up to the Building Operations Manager.
- Conducts rounds to inspect shared IGIB spaces for security, fire and accident hazards and takes appropriate action as required, including reporting infractions of fire and building codes, building rules and other building irregularities to the Building Operations Manager.
- Will act as Building Coordinator for IGIB's emergency / disaster preparedness programs within the IGIB. -This includes installing seismic restraints on recently acquired refrigeration units or similar machinery. -Also conducts monthly checks of hallway eyewashes and fire extinguishers.
- Assists with the development of the facilities management budget as requested by the Building Operations Manager.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of the use of standard organization computer applications, Word, Excel and other common desktop applications.
- Demonstrated effective listening, interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills to resolve inquiries, address concerns or problems and ensure cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, biological sciences, and / or equivalent experience / training
- Training in building management, maintenance, or mechanical trades
- Knowledge of facility maintenance practices and procedures along with safety and emergency preparedness.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=17830&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency