ADULT BASIC EDUCATION ASSISTANT PROFESSOR - TENURE TRACK (CEDAR CREEK CORRECTIONS CENTER)
Job Title: ADULT BASIC EDUCATION ASSISTANT PROFESSOR - TENURE TRACK (CEDAR CREEK CORRECTIONS CENTER)
Location: Cedar Creek Corrections Center
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 10345
Centralia College is located on a 30-acre campus in the heart of Centralia, Washington and has been serving students in the Lewis County region since 1925. As a comprehensive community college, Centralia College offers academic transfer and workforce programs, as well as adult basic education, ELL, and personal enrichment classes. The college also offers four Bachelor of Applied Science degrees: Information Technology - Application Development, Diesel Technology, Applied Management (Business), and Teacher Education.
In addition to the main campus in Centralia, Centralia College East in Morton is a smaller site that serves the needs of students in east Lewis County. Since the college is committed to the success of all students, Centralia College also provides educational programs at two corrections centers in southwest Washington - Garrett Heyns Education Center located in Shelton, Washington and Cedar Creek Corrections Center located in Littlerock, Washington. In total, the college serves more than 7,000 students annually. For more than 90 years, several generations of Lewis County residents have looked to Centralia College for their education and training needs.
For more information on Centralia College and what it can do for you, please call 360-736-9391 or visit www.centralia.edu.Job Description
Centralia College is seeking a Basic Education faculty members to instruct in the Corrections Education Division. Faculty members of this division teach at the Cedar Creek Corrections Center located west of Littlerock, WA. Multi-level, multi-subject courses are taught in the afternoons and evenings.Duties and Responsibilities
- Instruct basic education, GED preparation, high school completion courses, and/or student success courses.
- Develop and/or update class syllabus
- Develop and teach to the objectives of the approved curriculum
- Teach effective study skills to students
- Identify individual learning needs of students and make appropriate adjustments to instruction
- Create and maintain an environment of rapport and respect
- Maintain up-to-date appropriate records which indicate student progress and attendance that meet college requirements
- Complete student intake and assure CASAS testing
- Complete mandatory CASAS trainings for assessment
- Participate in division meetings and committee assignments
- Master’s Degree in Adult Basic education, Mathematics, Reading, Science or related field
- Ability to pass the Department of Corrections security clearance
- Three years’ experience teaching basic literacy to adults
- K-12 Special Education and English Language Learner Endorsements
- Three years’ experience instructing adult learners
- Excellent communications skills
- Department of Corrections Correctional Worker training (CORE) certificate
- Three years’ experience in a corrections setting
- Familiarity with the community college system
- Proven ability to work in a team setting
- Demonstrated experience developing curriculum to meet student needs
Standing and sitting for long periods of time; the classrooms are located approximately 1/3 mile from the parking lot most of which is outdoors.Conditions of Employment
The successful candidate must pass the Department of Corrections security clearance and complete Department of Corrections New Employee Orientation Training and adhere to all Department of Corrections rules, policies, and procedures.
This is a full-time, tenure track faculty appointment with employment expected to begin Fall 2021, subject to state legislative funding. The State of Washington provides a comprehensive benefits package for all state employees.
Centralia College faculty are represented by the Centralia College Federation of Teachers, Local No. 4469, AFT/AAFL-CIO.
DEADLINE: Priority screening begins May 13, 2021. Position is open until filled.
Placement on the established faculty salary schedule is dependent upon education and teaching experience.Application Process
Interested candidates may apply by submitting the following items:
- Online Application
- Cover Letter that addresses your interest in the position and ability to perform the responsibilities described in this announcement.
- Detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience that demonstrates how you meet the qualifications.
- List of at least three professional references with contact information. References are typically contacted after interviews.
If you are hired, you will need proof of identity, and documentation of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work.Background Check
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.EEO Statement
Centralia College has a strong institutional commitment to the principles of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we strongly urge all qualified applicants, especially people of color, persons of disability, women, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans, to apply. Centralia College is an Equal Opportunity employer.
It is the policy of Centralia College to assure equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, age (over 40), religion, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, or status as a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran.
Centralia College does not discriminate in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs or activities. Designated Title II, VI, VII, IX, Section 504, ADA compliance officer: Vice President for Human Resources and Equity, Hanson Hall Room 101, Centralia College, 600 Centralia College Blvd, Centralia WA 98531-4099, (360)623-8943.
The Human Resources Office is accessible for persons with disabilities. Those who need disability accommodation in the application/employment process, please call (360)623-8943.Jeanne Clery Statement
Notice of Availability of Annual Security Report—Centralia College's Annual Crime/Security Report is available here, containing mandated information about current campus policies concerning safety and security issues, required statistics, and other related information. To obtain a paper copy of the report, please call 360-623-8947Title IX Statement
Centralia College is compliant with Title IX best practices. For more information visit, Title IX.