Director, Student Services - School of Professional Studies
Job location: Charlotte, NC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-26
- Additional documentation must be added at the bottom of the third screen under the "My Experience."
- Internal candidates must apply via the internal career portal. Do not proceed with your application from this website.
- DO NOT complete the application without the required attachments as you will be unable to edit your application.
- Responsible for the planning, development and delivery of best-of-class, comprehensive student services for learners in the School of Professional Studies.
- Nurtures a school-wide culture in which every student is a priority and offers support and advice to adult learners in developing and personalized individual plans to achieve their academic and career goals.
- Organize student engagement opportunities specifically targeted to adult learners (such as new student orientation and onboarding, on campus residencies for online students, professional development and networking events), coordinating with internal and external stakeholders where appropriate.
- Closely monitor student performance and wellbeing --and work collaboratively with online program management partners, as needed-- to identify and address at-risk situations and pursue opportunities to enhance student success.
- Provide support and identify appropriate resources to students in distress or crisis. Serve as a liaison to the Campus Assessment, Response, and Evaluation (CARE) Team.
- Provide proactive and timely outreach and intervention through a variety of methods to facilitate effective student communication and engagement.
- Serve as a leading ambassador of SPS’ mission and vision, focused on cultivating an outstanding student journey while raising institutional awareness of the needs of adult learners.
- Work in collaboration SPS teams and other areas across the University to develop and implement effective student success strategies and processes based on best-practices.
- Create lifelong relationships with learners as alumni through appropriate segmentation, targeted programming, and effective relationship management. Plan events and activities that facilitate meaningful alumni engagement and invite alums to return to SPS for further educational development and career support.
- Establish and administer school-wide operational academic, student conduct and behavioral policies, programs and procedures and pursue continuous improvements, based on analysis of outcomes, operations, evolving demographics, student feedback, and other evidence-based inputs.
- In collaboration with appropriate university units, provides leadership in areas related to success coaching, academic records, career support, accounts receivable, and other student related services, policies and procedures.
- Plan and monitor the department’s budget to ensure spending is in line with the school’s objectives
- Serves as deputy Title IX coordinator for the School of Professional Studies.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree plus seven years of higher education experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Effective communicator, both verbally and in writing
- Strong relationship and stakeholder management skills with commitment to adult learner success
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgements on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Demonstrated commitment to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Working knowledge of student information, learning management and customer relationship systems
- Evidence of entrepreneurial strength, strategic thinking, innovative attitude, strong business acumen, fiscal accountability, and willingness to experiment.
- Ability to function independently on complex issues.
- Ability to lead and influence without authority
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Master's degree in Business, Education or a related field
- Previous experience in student affairs, especially in working with adult learners
- Knowledge of best practices and frameworks to increase adult learner development, persistence and completion rates
- Responsible for own work