Lead Data Engineer
Job no: 499286
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Information Systems & Technology, Probationary, Full Time
Reporting to the Interim Associate CIO and Senior Director of Enterprise Solutions, the Lead Data Engineer is responsible for SJSU’s Campus Data Warehousing/Business Intelligence implementation. This position will play a key role in the research, design, architecture, creation, development, implementation and maintenance of Campus Data Warehouse. This includes identifying and pulling data from 500+ individual databases across SJSU and curating them into a single data source in order to facilitate data-driven decisions.
The Lead Data Engineer possesses a breadth of knowledge, technical skills, and strategic thinking to build a Data Warehouse to answer important questions across a variety of functional areas and collaborate with business stakeholders and IT management to understand solution requirements and system design for delivering the data model, developing and implementing the solution to deliver the desired business outcomes. Assist in conducting technical reviews, creating definitions of business problems, including the preparation of business/technical requirements to support the mission of the university and administrative departments, provide systems and technical support of vendor and locally developed software, and work with the Data Warehouse Project Manager, SJSU IT Enterprise Solutions resources, external vendors, and IT team members. Duties and system assignments can be temporarily or permanently changed to meet the needs and goals of the department and university.
- Develop and maintain ETL processes to populate the data warehouse.
- Build data warehouse to house data from various sources such as Oracle, MySQL, and Web APIs, etc.
- Building and maintaining production data pipelines for data analytics.
- Define cloud strategy and lead cross-disciplinary teams to design and implement a scalable future state analytical platform architecture.
- Participate in the selection and managing cloud provider relationships.
- Partner cohesively with campus stakeholders to align with their strategic goals and initiatives through the implementation of Campus Data Warehouse.
- Oversee the sourcing and creation of partnerships with key analytical vendors who can provide specialized expertise to assist with solution development while leading the in-house effort and managing CO interface.
- Oversee project plans, timelines, and vendor relationships to ensure releases are delivered with the highest quality, on-time and within budget.
- Partner with University stakeholders and be responsible for data analytics, custodianship, and infrastructure to ensure alignment with departmental data and analytics requirements to avoid conflicting activities, and develop the most efficient data analytics insights across the departments.
- Identify, interpret, analyze and address critical business issues, questions and to develop use cases.
- Organizing and creating an environment that makes data and information accessible with appropriate channels of access controls.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to build a relationship of trust and play an advisory role in the use of data to improve performance and University-wide strategy formulation.
- Develop and document clear understandable plans, roadmaps and communication for business users, technical staff and IT groups.
- Follow IT policies and standards for maintaining consistency and standards across SJSU campus.
- Lead and own the interaction with campus technical support staff and customers to provide reliable services.
- Be proactive in making recommendations and ensure users/departments have the most up-to-date technological solutions to perform their jobs and serve the university community effectively.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Advanced skills in a Data Engineer role.
- Solid knowledge with cloud-based DW architectures and infrastructure.
- Advanced knowledge of application development, testing and deployment processes and tools.
- Advanced knowledge working with large data sets.
- Solid knowledge of ETL, ELT, reporting and analytics tools and environments.
- Ability to understand complex challenges and lead teams of technologists to deploy appropriate technological solutions that meet campus vision and mission.
- Ability to partner with key stakeholders to understand what data and analytics support to help drive positive outcomes.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organization and planning skills.
- Proficiency in management of multiple priorities to produce quality products for customers.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships with various individuals to ensure a cohesive working environment.
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science or business, or equivalent training and applied experience
- Five years of experience in business applications analysis, design, and programming for medium or large scale, multi-programmed computers
- Master’s in Business Administration, Computer Science or equivalent degree
- 3+ years’ experience leading a team
- 3+ years’ experience developing, maintaining and collecting structured and unstructured data sets for analysis and reporting
- 3+ years advanced analytics experience in support of business strategy
- 3+ years working experience in implementing public cloud solutions
Classification: Analyst/Programmer - Expert
Hiring Range: $6,249/month - $12,100/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: March 19, 2021 through April 2, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: March 19, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled