Budget and Administrative Specialist
Job no: 499906
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Administrative, Probationary, Full Time
Reporting to the Senior Director of Academic Budgets and Administration, the Budget and Administrative Specialist provides analytical budget and administrative coordination for the Office of Academic Business and Strategic Operations (AB&SO) and various Academic Support Units. The incumbent serves as the AB&SO liaison to all campus offices, and provides support for budget analyses, special projects, change management, and office administration.
- Compiles data, produces, and proofreads complex budget tables, performs editorial duties, and publishes the Academic Affairs Budget Book in accessible electronic format for distribution.
- Maintains continuous budgetary control, recommends budget, and performs quarterly and year-end forecasts and analysis for units and funds assigned, including state and auxiliary, if applicable.
- Oversees, maintains, and reconciles the Special Projects Funds.
- Maintains and monitors the accounting of assigned division-wide commitments, such as off campus lease, software agreements, etc.
- Creates informative and well-organized presentations and reports.
- Manages various payment and salary reimbursement processes.
- Provides guidance and support to Academic Affairs Division administrators and analysts on division and SJSU policies
- Trains division users on systems used for financial reporting and workload reconciliation, and develops training materials as needed.
- Assists with the development and maintenance of project documentation, including but not limited to timeline, project scope, process mapping, and workflow design.
- Provides support to the Academic Affairs Resource Team (AART) and sub-committees, including meeting coordination, preparing agendas and meeting notes.
- Develops and manages file sharing systems for AART members.
- Coordinates and reviews division audits pertaining to security access, travel approval routing structures, and wireless devices.
- Coordinates special projects and events for the division.
- Collaborates with AAD staff in support of the Provost’s initiatives.
- Creates and maintains division DocuSign templates.
- Coordinates the administrative support functions of AB&SO and acts as the liaison for various campus functions such as Office of the Provost, the President's Office, the Administration and Finance division, and the University Personnel Office, on administrative matters.
- Oversees day-to-day office operations and provides technical support.
- Manages the office budget, processes purchase requisitions, travel claims, direct pay claims, as needed to support office and division operations.
- Maintains AB&SO server files.
- Schedules meetings and maintains the calendar for the Senior Director of Academic Budgets and Administration.
- Develops and maintains websites for AB&SO.
- Coordinates payroll activities and tracks absences.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of governmental budgeting and accounting.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public finance.
- Knowledge of (or ability to learn) and ability to analyze the financial structure and procedures of SJSU, including its purpose, functions, and fiscal organization.
- Knowledge of research techniques and of statistical principles and procedures.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze and review the budgets and financial practices of the campus.
- Ability to analyze situations correctly and to develop an effective course of action.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts in preparation of detailed financial analyses and reports.
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU fiscal policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with attention to detail.
- Fluency in applications such as LucidChart, Google Suite, DocuSign, data visualization tools, word processing, spreadsheet, database management, mainframe access, CMS Financials and Human Resources.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling.
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Three years of relevant work experience performing similar functions
- Experience working in higher education or the California State University system
- Experience working with business intelligence software and workflow management tools
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Exempt I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,000/month - $5,200/month
Salary Range: $3,897/month - $7,051/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: April 12, 2021 through April 27, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: April 12, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled