Payroll and Program Analyst
Job no: 499773
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Administrative, Probationary, Full Time
The Payroll and Program Analyst provides pivotal program coordination for the college utilizing thorough knowledge of policies, and procedures established by University Personnel and office of the Dean in the College of Professional and Global Education (CPGE).
Working independently, using sound judgement when interpreting and applying policies and procedures and applying problem-solving and analytical skills, the incumbent will manage the payroll timekeeping functions for the college staff, student assistants and faculty and contribute to program and process analysis and make recommendations for accomplishment of programmatic goals.
The incumbent, responsible for implementation of processes and compliance with established guidelines to optimize work flow within the college and for other campus stakeholders. This position will oversees the process and workflow related to the college’s Professional and Continuing Education (PaCE) revenue allocations and distribution of funds for self-support programs, manages student financial petitions, and provides back-up support to the College Resource Analyst and College Financial Analyst as needed.
- Oversee CPGE payroll activities and work with campus payroll to effectively resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Review, maintain, and coordinate staff and student attendance to ensure vacation, sick, overtime and stipend pay are accurate; recommend effective resolutions to ensure that all payroll approvals are completed on time.
- Audit position and salary setups; recommends and initiates adjustments needed to ensure accurate reporting of HR expenses; liaise with CPGE HR Specialist to update Position Management Accounts.
- Initiate, maintain and reconcile all self-support instructional information (e.g.-position numbers, appointment, payroll, etc.) in the database and shared drives.
- Manage faculty appointments, teaching loads, faculty contracts, salary increases to facilitate prompt payments.
- Manage process and workflow related to PaCE revenue allocation; ensure that it is accurate and timely.
- Prepare fiscal year-end and other ad hoc reports (e.g.- CPGE Reasonableness Test).
- Keep manager apprised of budgetary, financial, and procedural issues concerning assigned projects.
- Make recommendations and provide guidance to the manager on accounting procedures and internal controls.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Advanced understanding of governmental financial record-keeping methods, procedures, and practices
- Proficiency in the use of English grammar, business writing, punctuation, spelling and arithmetic skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Advanced user and knowledge of software applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, and database query.
- Working knowledge of or ability to learn and adapt PeopleSoft and financial database applications
- Ability to use initiative and judgment in analyzing information and determining a course of action within current specifications, guidelines & practices
- Ability to review financial documents for accuracy, completeness, validity, and adherence to standards
- Ability to analyze and interpret accounting data, prepare clear and accurate financial statements and reports, and analyze and reconcile large data sets
- Ability to analyze data and make accurate projections using business mathematics and basic statistical techniques
- Skilled at effectively planning and executing daily tasks and long-term projects.
- Working knowledge of assessment tools and applicable data analytics
- Excellent planning and organization skills.
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting and/or equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible accounting experience.
- Three years or more of progressively responsible experience in a government institution (similar to SJSU), large company or a major subsidiary of a large corporation.
- Strong Excel skills, including use of VLOOKUP, Pivot Tables and Conditional Formatting.
- Three years or more of working experience in a budget or payroll environment,
- Experience working with assessment tools and applicable data analytics.
- Program management experience.
- Experience with PeopleSoft Financials and DocuSign is desired but not required.
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist, Exempt I
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,000/month - $5,500/month
Salary Range: $3,897/month - $7,051/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: April 9, 2021 through April 25, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: April 09, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled