Superintendent, Landscaping and Grounds
Yale University, conveniently located between Boston and New York, offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Located in the heart of historic downtown New Haven with more than 100 local boutiques, national retailers, cafés, casual eateries, award-winning restaurants, and world-renowned theaters, galleries, and museums.
The focus of the Superintendent, Landscaping & Grounds is to provide high-quality athletic fields and venues and landscape and grounds management at the Yale Athletic Fields complex in support of NCAA Division I competitions, practices, club/intramurals, and other events and activities. This includes the both natural and synthetic turf fields, and general landscaping at the complex. The superintendent is responsible for overseeing one or more grounds maintenance teams and contractor support for ground maintenance operations. The superintendent is accountable for the procurement, payment processing and financial tracking of all supplies, materials, and equipment related to grounds maintenance. Additionally, they perform timekeeping, provide training, administer the employee progression system, and perform other administrative tasks associated with the staff. The superintendent schedules daily duties and monitors athletic event activity and adjusts as needed. Serves as the primary point of contact for Athletics and attends weekly meetings to coordinate services for athletic needs. Establishes staffing priorities based on requirements for games, practices, clubs/intramurals, rentals, etc. Maintains daily communication with the Athletic Department regarding fields’ conditions, scheduling, and maintenance issues that may affect athletic events.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field. Five years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Proven ability to supervise and coordinate daily grounds maintenance operations, natural and synthetic turf athletic fields maintenance, and collegiate varsity sporting events support.
- Well-developed supervisory skills including experience with coaching and performance feedback.
- Excellent verbal, written and organizational skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all organizational levels.
- Proven ability to maintain, manage and prepare scheduling, word processing, and spreadsheet documents and reports. Proficiency with software tools such as Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and database computer programs.
- Ability to work irregular hours (as the job mandates), including weekend athletic events, emergency response, and special events such as move-in, move-out, commissioning, start-ups, commencement, reunions, etc.
- Preferred Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, landscape design or related field. Experience with Maintenance Management Software. Experience supervising unionized employees. Connecticut Commercial Arborist License. Certified Landscape Technician (CLT).
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/YaleCareers-64485BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.