Pharmacy Technician I-Childrens' Outpatient Pharmacy
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Location: Duke Hospital (Childrens' Outpatient Pharmacy) Durham, North Carolina
Perform under supervision a variety of routine and advanced technical duties related to preparing and dispensing of drugs in accordance with standard procedures and techniques.
M-F 8:30a-8p, Sat/Sun 8:30-4:30 (We are currently operating on COVID hours 8:30a-6p M-F)
Duties and Responsibilities
· Retrieve and interpret medication orders; perform pharmaceutical calculations; enter medication orders into pharmacy computer system for pharmacist’s review
· Label, fill, and deliver medications to appropriate patient care locations
· Answer telephones and direct calls to appropriate personnel
· Inventory, order, receive and stock drugs and supplies
· Retrieve discontinued or expired medications from stock and patient areas; discard or return to stock as appropriate; complete corresponding documentation.
· Perform non-sterile compounding in accordance with USP<795>, USP<800>, departmental, and regulatory guidelines
· Ability to pass compounding competency exam within 90 days of hire
· Provide excellent customer service to a wide variety of patients and patient care areas
· Ability to enter charges and credits for patient medications using point of sale system
· Assist in documentation of unit-specific procedures and quality assurance activities under Pharmacist’s review
· Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
High school diploma or equivalent and completion of a certified pharmacy technician training program. or Acceptance into pharmacy school. or High school diploma or equivalent and one year of pharmacy or health care related experience.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Must be eligible for registry with the NC Board of Pharmacy
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.