Analyst, IT, Sr. - Sponsored Research Service Owner
School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Job Title: Analyst, IT, Sr. Job Code: 2426
FLSA: Job Level/Band: Band C
SAP Positions #: 50011880 Job Family: JF 08Occupational Summary - IT Service Owner, Sponsored Research
The Applications team in the Office of Academic Solutions and Information Systems (OASIS) provides software development, vended software implementation, software support and data solutions for Duke’s research community. Our solutions are used by researchers and research administrators in support of the research mission of Duke University, the School of Medicine, Institutes, Centers and Departments.
The Information Technology Service Owner is the liaison between the business and IT with the primary focus of developing an understanding of the business needs and advising the business on what is technically feasible. Although the business is ultimately responsible for the direction of the product or product line, the IT Service Owner is expected to gain expertise in the business and the supporting technology.
This position reports to the OASIS Associate Director of Application Development and manages the grants product. The IT Service Owner deals directly with key stakeholders, customers, and the technical teams who design, develop and support custom software. Given the distributed nature of IT at Duke, the IT Service Line Owner must work across a matrix of technology resources to deliver. For example, the DHTS operations center may supply the hardware infrastructure (servers and data storage) while the department supplies domain knowledge and OASIS teams build or configure the product.
We are looking for a motivated, results-driven self-starter with excellent communication skills. The ideal candidate has extensive knowledge of research administration processes, familiarity with complex software development projects, and the leadership ability to build consensus and develop team-oriented outcomes in a complex matrix organizational environment.Preferred Experience:
- Oversaw a project from inception to delivery.
- Worked with users who have minimal knowledge of software applications.
- Worked in a clinical or research (basic or clinical) environment.
- Designed software features that will meet the needs of the users.
- Facilitated cross-functional team collaboration.
- Practiced agile, iterative software development.
- Led software-related meetings and gave presentations to senior leadership, IT personnel, and application users.
- Identified business use cases, developed requirements documents, business plans, validation plans and other System Development Lifecycle documentation.
- Developed strategy and roadmaps for software products.
- Delivered multiple robust, high-quality enterprise software solutions.
- Partner with business, engagement and operational IT teams throughout product lifecycle, including concept, strategic planning to implementation, upgrade, enhancement, maintenance and end of life.
- Develop a deep understanding of specific business area.
- Develop a deep understanding of IT solutions serving the business area, how they interact and connect, and how they collectively serve the needs of the business.
- Leverage business and IT knowledge to advise business on appropriate use of technology.
- Deliver business cases/use cases and requirements to IT with prioritized features and corresponding justification.
- Assess technological landscape (what solutions are available, what other academic centers are doing, etc.)
- Write business plans for initial product creation including implementation and operations requirements and any subsequent major changes that require investment outside of the original plan.
- Understand and account for the complexities of the business, the relationships between business units, and the product line.
- Follow user-centered software design and development best practices (e.g., live mockups, usability testing sessions).
Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
Three years working experience in a related business or IT field. Experience leading development or deployment of enterprise software systems preferred.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.