(Substitute) Staff Secretary - Campus Safety
Description of Basic Functions and Responsibilities
The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District (Shasta College) sits at the northern end of the Sacramento Valley, surrounded by mountains to the north, east, and west. The area provides a wide array of outdoor amenities and activities with miles of hiking and biking trails, national parks, two lakes, and the Sacramento River.
Shasta College is committed to providing its diverse student population with equitable education outcomes, contributing to the social, cultural, intellectual, and economic development of our communities. The college has been recognized as a leader in developing and implementing innovative education programs to increase student success, including accelerated pathways for high school students to achieve a bachelor's degree and for returning students to complete their Associate and Bachelor's degrees. Shasta College enrolls more than 11,000 students annually and provides educational services to students with a wide range of skills and abilities.
Our ideal candidate is motivated to join a campus community prioritizing the success of our racially and socio-economically diverse staff and student population. Providing equitable outcomes so all members of our community may enjoy safe, healthy, and vibrant educational and employment environments is critical to our success.
Classified positions in the California Community College system offer a unique opportunity to contribute to the empowerment of our students seeking to improve their lives and communities. Our classified staff engage with a diverse employee and student populations, facilitating equitable outcomes for all by implementing and supporting our various employment and academic programs. As a classified staff member at Shasta College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive, healthy educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives. A career in classified service at Shasta College offers a highly rewarding and enriching employment experience.
DESCRIPTION OF BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform a variety of general clerical/secretarial duties in support of the day-to-day operations, programs, and activities within assigned unit, department, or office. Employees in this classification receive direct to general supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures. This job class exercises responsibility for providing general clerical/secretarial assistance to include typing, filing, receptionist, record keeping, and other office support functions. This job class functions at a journey level and requires the successful processing and accomplishment of a variety of tasks and details from the initiation of a relevant procedure to its completion.
SUPERVISOR: Chief of Campus Safety or designee
CLASSIFICATION: Range 25 on the current Classified Salary Schedule, 28 hours per week. Work assignment hours vary.
BENEFITS: 24 hours of sick leave per year. No medical, dental or vision insurance provided.
Typical Duties, Knowledge and Ability
- Performs a variety of general clerical, secretarial, and office support functions in support of assigned office programs and operations.
- Inputs, checks, verifies, compiles, and records a variety of data/information related to assigned program(s), department, or office.
- Types a variety of material such as interoffice communications, stencils, textbook/purchase order, requisitions, forms, letters, reports, statistics, curriculum projects, instructional material, specifications, etc. from rough draft or verbal instruction.
- Independently composes routine correspondence as directed by assigned supervisor/staff.
- Acts as office receptionist: answering telephones; making appointments; receiving and responding to students, faculty, administrators, and general public giving information and assistance whenever possible.
- Arranges and schedules a variety for meetings; notifying participants, confirming dates and times, reserving meeting sites, and preparing needed materials.
- Coordinates office activities with other departments, outreach centers, or outside vendors/agencies.
- Attends meetings, takes minutes, transcribes and distributes minutes as directed.
- Maintains accurate and detailed calendar of events, due dates, and schedules as they relate to office program(s) and activities to ensure proper tasks and activities occur as scheduled.
- Receives and accounts for various payments/fees related to assigned functions.
- Prepares reports from data compiled and records kept as it relates to assigned program area(s).
- Receives, sorts, and distributes incoming and outgoing mail.
- Establishes, maintains, and updates a variety of records, logs, and filing systems pertaining to assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Receives, reviews, and verifies documents, records, and forms for accuracy, completeness, and conformance to applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Orders, stores, and issues supplies and materials pertinent to the functions of assigned operational unit; maintains inventory/stock levels of supplies/materials needed.
- Operates standard office equipment such as computer, copier, calculator, printer, etc.
- Develops or assists in the development of forms, worksheets, and record keeping systems for the collection, dissemination, and maintenance of needed information for specialized programs within assigned unit.
- Assists other support staff with assigned functions as needed.
- Performs other related duties similar to the above in scope and function as required.
- Proper office methods, practices, and procedures including filing, report writing and proper telephone techniques.
- Business English including proper usage, grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Learn the operations, procedures, policies, and requirements and terminology of assigned program, department, or operational unit and apply them with good judgment in a variety of procedural situations.
- Learn, interpret, and successfully apply District rules, procedures, and policies with good judgment while independently carrying out a variety of technical procedures.
- Compose routine correspondence independently.
- Transcribe dictation with speed and accuracy.
- Understand and carry out a variety of oral and written instructions independently.
- Perform mathematical calculations accurately.
- Perform required duties within established timelines.
- Establish and maintain efficient record keeping/filing systems and prepare routine reports.
- Coordinate activities and details and maintain effective schedules of events.
- Analyze situations and take appropriate action regarding routine procedural matters without immediate supervision.
- Accurately type at 50 words per minute.
- Operate a variety of standard office machines and equipment including typewriter, calculator, copier, computer terminal, etc.
- Effectively and tactfully communicate in both oral and written forms.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties.
- May require: Take dictation at a speed of 80 words per minute.
- Two years of responsible clerical or secretarial experience.
- College training in secretarial subjects may be substituted on a year-to-year basis.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
Online Application with Additional Preferred Materials to be attached to application:
- Cover letter addressing criteria listed in the position announcement
- Current resume
- College transcripts (unofficial will be accepted at the time of application)
- After application has been submitted, all application materials will be screened.
- Internal candidates must also submit all required materials to be considered.
- Candidate evaluations will not be considered.
- Reference letters from any member of the Hiring Committee or Board Members will not be considered.
- Interviews will be by invitation only.
- The District does not provide expense reimbursement for those invited to initial interviews.
- The District does not reimburse for new hire moving expenses.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency