Staff Assistant - Director, Deputy Director, and Operations
School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Performs administrative duties of a complex and confidential nature in support of the director, deputy director, and overall business operations. Provides excellent customer service, displays a professional demeanor, and takes initiative.
- Serve as primary administrative support for the DLAR Director and Deputy Director
- Maintain calendar and schedule meetings
- Coordinate executive meeting requests by collaborating with various administrative staff
- Make travel arrangements
- Process expense reports
- Maintain confidential information
- Prepare reports and maintain spreadsheets
- Coordinate and compile the DLAR Quarterly Report
- Assist in preparation of Power Point slides for training and presentations
- Ensure conference rooms are properly prepped prior to meetings
- Present documents for timely signature
- Provide research support including, but not limited to, finding articles, reserving books, proof-reading, checking citation formats, assisting with bio sketch formatting
- Take phone messages and forward calls as needed
- Provide ad hoc support for senior DLAR leaders (including but not limited to: Senior Business Manager, Senior Operations Manager, Deputy Chief of Clinical Services, Deputy Chief of Research Support) including scheduling of standing DLAR meetings.
- Maintain DLAR management monthly time-off calendar.
- Coordinate business luncheons (managerial and staff) and various quarterly meetings such as the Advisory Committee, Lemur Center Walkthroughs, and DLAR staff meetings.
- Schedule conference rooms and manage DLAR conference room scheduling email address. This includes being the main point of contact to schedule DLAR conference rooms and other research building conference rooms for DLAR staff.
- Coordinate travel and logistics for postdocs, and other scholarly visitors.
- Compile information for Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Maintain adoption files and photo permission requests (ensuring appropriate authorization is granted and approved forms are returned to requestors).
- Compile information submitted by staff and leaders across DLAR and design bi-monthly DLAR Bulletin to be sent out.
- Coordinate with assigned delegates when Director receives an IACUC protocol to review.
- AALAC prep – compile the program description and work closely with DLAR Director and OAWA Director during revision process.
- Create org charts for various purposes and projects as requested.
- Provide support in various Business Operations areas.
- Order office supplies as directed.
- Perform other incidental work as requested.
Professional Conduct and Behavior
Demonstrates professional conduct and behavior at all times when performing job duties and rendering services to the scientific community, especially as they relate to customer service, attendance and punctuality, respectful demeanor and interactions, professional language and communications, appropriate effort and initiative, accountability and integrity, boundary maintenance and confidentiality, emotional self-regulation and responsiveness to feedback.
Maintains professional standards and adheres to all federal, state and university regulations and policies regarding the use of animals in research while performing job duties.
Fosters teamwork and collegiality between the various groups of DLAR and scientific community.
Note: Though not directly working with animals, this position’s office is located in an animal facility.
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
Work generally requires four years of related secretarial/clerical experience to acquire skills necessary to administer complex office functions related to office management, communications, and budgetary/accounting activities. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.