COUNSELOR, EMPLOYEE ASSIST PROGRAM
School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Counselor is involved in a variety of Employee Assistance Program (EAP) services designed to enhance health and productivity of Duke work force. Counselor is responsible for making independent decisions regarding the clinical assessment and management of cases, consultation to management, and addressing occupational mental health issues in the workplace.
- Provide direct clinical services, including comprehensive mental health assessment, short term counseling, and referral services to Duke faculty, staff, and eligible members of their immediate family.
- Consult with management about occupational mental health and productivity issues.
- Assess and provide organizational consultation and interventions for events that disrupt the emotional stability and functioning of the work unit.
- Provide specialized services to various client groups within the University and Health System, notably employees with work injury or illness, substance abuse, suspected impairment, or behaviors of concern.
- Serve as a mental health professional on Dukes Critical Incident Response Program, utilizing Psychological First Aid and crisis response.
- Design and conduct training sessions for management about employee performance problems, personal problems, mental health, and resources available through PAS.
- Collaborate with the Director and team members regarding program development and operations, program promotion, and program evaluation.
- Perform other duties incidental to the work described herein.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Work requires a minimum of a Masters Degree in social work, counseling or related mental health field. Current clinical licensure in North Carolina or eligible.
Three or more years of experience in social work, employee assistance OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE counseling or related setting.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.