Analyst, IT, SR
Duke Connected Care, a community-based, physician-led network, includes a group of doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers who work together to deliver high-quality care to Medicare Fee-for-Service patients in Durham and itssurrounding areas.
Location: Duke Health, Durham, North Carolina
The Population Health Analyst is integral to the success of Duke University Health System’s Population Health Management Office (PHMO) strategic and operational goals. As an expert on data analysis, the incumbent will be responsible for (1) the identification, analysis and interpretation of EMR, payor, and other data sources to support program evaluation; (2) guide analyses and decision making around continuous quality improvement activities; and (3) producing reports to summarize findings, support program decisions and meet deliverables. This position requires an analyst intrigued and driven by the challenge of creating information from data; skilled at organizing the presentation of quantitative information to facilitate understanding and illuminate decision making.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a liaison between business and the PHMO Data & Analytics team to ensure necessary development and maintenance of reporting database to serve analytic needs.
- Work on cross-functional teams, including but not limited to finance, health data science, and statistician personnel throughout Duke Health to achieve population health goals
- Analyze EMR, payer, and other healthcare data to support continuous quality improvement initiatives, program evaluation, and strategic planning.
- Lead analyses from claims and clinical data looking to derive insights into cost and utilization reduction opportunities and/or quality improvement.
- Proactive data mining and identification of patterns/trends.
- Coordinate development of analytic datasets, data cleaning, data validation, and data reporting
- Interpret and summarize complex analyses, producing written and graphical representation of findings
- Develop design documents for data mapping and data transformation processes.
- Perform gap assessment to identify gaps between business requirements and data availability.
- Develop and implement an appropriate quality acceptance testing and validation strategy to ensure completeness and accuracy of data prior to user acceptance testing and migration of solution into the production environment.
- Use all tools as relevant to develop the right solution to meet customer data needs. Available tools include but are not limited to: SQL, Business Objects Crystal, WEBi, Tableau, and MS SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Monitor the performance of business unit specific reporting solutions and take corrective action as necessary to optimize performance and mitigate negative consequences for customers and production servers.
- Understand and follow all established guidelines with respect to report development, migration of reports through environments to Production, and report maintenance. Ensure that all data deliverables conform to established departmental standards; specifically change management processes, reporting naming conventions, and maintenance of enterprise reporting library.
- Maintain impeccable communication with internal and external stakeholders regarding the development status of work requests. Requires the timely and astute evaluation and anticipation of risks to fulfillment of requests.
- Maintain knowledge of industry standards for metrics and analyses in a value based payment healthcare environment.
Population Health Analyst:
- Individual contributor representing the most common entry point for this career ladder; works under the direct supervision of Sr. Analyst, Team Lead, or higher.
- Demonstrates proven ability to accurately apply knowledge in the design and build of reporting, information, and analytic solutions (albeit in consultation with others).
- Beginning to intermediate level user of requisite technical tools for the role.
- Proven SQL coding experience at an intermediate or higher level.
Population Health Analyst, Senior
- Individual contributor representing the most common career progression path for this career ladder
- Demonstrates a proven ability to accurately and independently apply knowledge in the design and build of reporting, information, and analytic solutions.
- High intermediate to advanced/expert level user of requisite technical tools for the role.
- Proven SQL coding experience at an advanced coder level.
- Mentors less senior analysts irrespective of supervisory relationship to them.
- Performs and coordinates simple to complex projects with minimal direction.
- Optimizes internal resources to maximize team capabilities.
- Leads peers to resolve complex issues consistent with divisional/organizational goals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Solid experience and knowledge developing complex SQL scripts.
- Strong hands-on working knowledge of statistical and business analysis software (e.g. MS SQL Server/Oracle, SAS, R, Excel, PowerPoint, Tableau, Business Objects) for processing, analyzing, and presenting data.
- Foundational understanding of relational and dimensional data models.
- Strong quantitative, statistical and/or data analysis skills
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving ability
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in a technical or healthcare environment, with proven ability to describe technical solutions to non-technical audiences.
- Skilled in requirements gathering, gap analysis, data analysis, and generating technical specifications.
- Data sourcing, data mapping and managing metadata strongly preferred.
- Ability to handle a variety of projects and tasks simultaneously and prioritize competing deadlines
- Proven ability to translate business questions and requirements into data and information deliverables using relevant business intelligence tools.
- Prior experience with clinical, EHR, and healthcare claims data preferred.
Bachelor's degree in a related field, or four years of equivalent technical experience required if no degree. Degree in Information Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics, or Engineering (Health Information Management) public health, or a health-related discipline preferred
3+ years of experience for Sr Analyst. Recent and prior healthcare experience, with payer claims data and/or Accountable Care Organization utilization and quality metric work strongly preferred
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.