FWS Summer 2021, Undergraduate Peer Instructor
FWS Summer 2021, Undergraduate Peer InstructorRequisition Number:
1B531:Federal Work StudyWork Location:
Biostatistics 725 Rose Street, Multidisciplinary Science Building 205, Lexington, KY 40536Salary Range:
$9.25 - $10.60Type of Position:
StudentPosition Time Status :
Current UK Undergraduate studentRequired Related Experience:
2 undergraduate statistics or biostatistics courses (completed or currently enrolled)Required License/Registration/Certification:
Monday through Friday; exact schedule varies according to course, section(s), schedule, and other factors. Please refer to the course catalog for listing of potential shifts. Assignments, schedules, and shifts are finalized by the Course Coordinator. This position requires a commitment of approximately 20 hours per week.Job Summary:
The Department of Biostatistics is seeking a talented and highly motivated, upper-level undergraduate to fill a position as a Peer Instructor. PIs guide students in introductory biostatistics courses to a deeper comprehension of material which the PIs themselves are expected to understand. They are to maintain the utmost standard of responsibility, integrity, and professionalism while in this position. PIs in the Biostatistics Department are assigned to assist an instructor in course section(s) of Statistical Thinking in Public Health (BST 230) as determined by the Course Coordinator. As a supplement to their class assignments, PIs may be assigned to work with faculty member(s) on online initiatives (related to the course to which they are assigned) as determined by the Department Chair/Course Coordinator.
Duties, Expectations, and Requirements:
· Completing the following trainings:
o Two online training modules (Data Security and FERPA).
o The department’s orientation activities.
o CITI Group I Biomedical Investigators and Key Personnel.
· Attending and participating in weekly team meetings and class meetings.
· Holding office hours (2 hours per week minimum).
· Answering questions, providing feedback, and other correspondence in-person and online via email, Canvas, or other methods.
· Assisting with grading and evaluating student work according to rubrics.
· Specific training on the use of the grading rubrics are provided during orientation and during the weekly meetings to ensure all sections are evaluated consistently. Course Coordinator spot-checks grades, resolves any discrepancies or disputes, and determines all final grades.
· In addition, course assistants will monitor assignments and notify the instructor of record if public student posts are inappropriate or need attention.
· Supporting online and in-class activities.
· Maintaining and recording attendance and other student coursework via Canvas.
· Other duties as assigned within the scope of the position.Skills / Knowledge / Abilities:
Communication, foundational statistical knowledgeDoes this position have supervisory responsibilities? :
3.0 or higher GPA, A or B in statistics/biostatistics courses.
Bachelor of Public Health student preferred.
05/07/2021University Community of Inclusion:
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.