HBOI Marine Mammal Stranding Response Veterinarian
Job location: Harbor Branch (HBOI)
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2021-04-23
Apply now to join FAU on its race to excellence. For more information on everything FAU has to offer, please visit www.fau.edu/jobs. Position Summary:
Florida Atlantic University's Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute is seeking a Marine Mammal Stranding Response Veterinarian, Fort Pierce, FL.
With over 30,000 students from all 50 states and over 180 countries, 21 intercollegiate teams, 180 plus degree programs, and an administration that thrives on discovery and excellence, FAU is pushing the boundaries of higher education. Florida Atlantic's faculty and staff are trailblazers and innovators with a passion for finding creative solutions while advancing science, art, and technology in all disciplines. Our work environment is a hub of cultures from across the nation and the world, making FAU a place where collaboration flourishes.
Summary of Responsibilities Include:
- Maintain on-call availability during previously agreed-upon times of coverage.
- As needed, attend to marine mammal stranding cases which are the responsibility of MMRC requiring evaluation and clinical care. Oversee clinical evaluation and medical response, and help lead marine mammal transport efforts and necropsy, as needed.
- In conjunction with FAU-HBOI attending veterinarian report activities of MMRC and required medical case data with concerned internal groups and external agencies.
- Responsible for letting appropriate MMRC personnel know if veterinarian is out of town or not available to be on call.
- Consult with NOAA/NMFS officials as required via telephone, email or personally regarding marine mammal stranding cases. Include FAU-HBOI attending veterinarian in these consultations.
- Provide the requisite current Florida state veterinary practice licensure to facilitate lawful veterinary practice and controlled substance drug use within MMRC.
- For the successful completion of this work scope veterinarian shall provide all professional services necessary, to include both clinical and non-clinical work activities and their completion.
- A personal work space at FAU-HBOI to facilitate onsite communication personally/via email/via phone, review of clinical and non-clinical documents/digital data, storage of personal veterinary tools/ garments and secure storage of controlled substances to be accessed by veterinarian will be provided by FAU-HBOI.
- Travel costs associated with the work scope shall be the responsibility of the veterinarian.
Ability to immediately respond to calls during times of coverage, including in-person responses as needed.
Strong understanding of biosecurity measures.
Ability to work in hot outdoor conditions.
Ability to lift up to 30 lbs. unassisted.
Experience in large animal necropsy.
Experience working with live marine mammals preferred.Salary:$50.00 per hour. On call $1.00 per hour.College or Department:Harbor Branch Oceanographic InstituteLocation:Harbor Branch (HBOI)Work Days and Hours:Variable based on the on-call scheduleApplication Deadline: 2021-05-09-07:00Special Instructions to Applicant: Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711
Temporary positions are not established positions and are paid from OPS funds. Temporary positions are usually not eligible for benefits and retirement; however, they may be eligible for health insurance coverage depending on the average hours worked per week. They provide full-time or part-time employment in an exempt or non-exempt employment situation based on job duties and salary in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Temporary positions do not have layoff rights and may be terminated without prior notice. Applicants hired into Temporary positions may apply for a regular appointment should a vacancy become available.
This is a part time position.
Successful completion of a background check, which may include a motor vehicle check, credit check, fingerprinting or additional screening, is required for the selected candidate prior to the start date.
A resume and a cover letter are required for this position. Make sure to attach these required documents in the Attachments section of the application. Any missing required documents may result in disqualification.