Communications & Marketing Specialist-(Temporary)
Posting Date: April 23, 2021 Posting End Date: June 30, 2021
Position: Communications and Marketing Specialist Department: Office of Communications, Public Relations and Marketing
Status: (Temporary) (Non-Exempt)
In keeping with the President’s commitment to Tuskegee University demonstrating “Excellence in Every Way”, the ideal Communications and Marketing Specialist will possess the willingness to use his or her expertise to assist in the university’s efforts to be a sustainable academic organization committed to excellence.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities
The Communications and Marketing Specialist will serve as a member of the Office of Communications, Public Relations and Marketing team and will be key in executing communications, marketing and brand strategies that support the office’s university-wide efforts. The successful candidate will report to the university’s Senior Director of Communications, Public Relations and Marketing.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- develops, writes for, edits and publishes communications materials to advance the university’s vision, mission, brand, goals and achievements among its target audiences (e.g., current and prospective students, faculty and staff, alumni and donors)
- writes and edits news content for distribution to media, on the university’s website, as part of university print and digital news publications, and through the university’s social media platforms
- produces materials with attention to content/style editing, copywriting and design, as well as for a variety of mediums — including internal and external publications; brochures; posters; newsletters; advertising; websites; presentations; development/fundraising materials; and print, broadcast and digital media
- manages communications and marketing projects, monitors production calendars and deadlines, and coordinates the contributions of collaborators and external vendors
- evaluates communications and marketing efforts to determine their effectiveness and ROI
Entry into the applicant pool requires:
- a bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, marketing or relevant field from an accredited institution
- superior communication skills to advance an organization’s mission with clarity, passion and persuasion
- at least three years of experience writing content for publications, the media and/or the web
- knowledge and demonstrated application of Associated Press Style standards
- proven interpersonal skills and ability to build, foster and maintain relationships with both internal and external constituencies, including students, administrators, employees, volunteers, alumni and donors
- a valid driver’s license
- availability to work non-traditional office hours
- higher education-focused communications and marketing experience, especially in support of institutional branding and storytelling, student recruitment, alumni affairs and/or fundraising
- five or more years of writing and editing experience
- demonstrated experience managing projects and/or acting in a client relations role in a communications team or agency setting
Commensurate with education, training and experience
Additional Position Information:
- No more than 20 hours per week.
- No travel required.
- This position is temporary and will end June 30, 2021.
APPLICATIONS will be accepted in the Office of Human Resources. Each applicant, including all current/existing employees, must complete and submit a Tuskegee University employment application, resume/CV, a list of (3) to (5) references (with detailed contact information) and copies of unofficial transcripts (official transcript(s) will be required upon hire). Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and submit a completed application packet in order to be considered for the position. The University reserves the right not to fill the position in the event of budgetary or operational constraints.
Human Resources Department
101 Kresge Center
Tuskegee, Alabama 36088
Email Address: [email protected] Fax: 334-724-4319
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days of
employment. Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check.