Director of Campus Life for Residential Life & Housing
Category:: Staff and Administrators
Department:: 3221 (RLH Housing - administration)
Locations:: Worcester, MA
Posted:: Apr 22, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full-time - Exempt
Ref. No.:: 199819
Position ID:: 130265
About Clark University:
Founded in 1887, Clark was one of the first all-graduate institutions in the United States. Today the University is a highly-ranked, student-centered institution educating approximately 2,350 undergraduate and 1,150 graduate students to be imaginative and contributing citizens of the world and to advance the frontiers of knowledge and understanding through rigorous scholarship and creative effort. This commitment to scholarship and inquiry reflects the University's commitment to "challenge convention and change our world" and to address issues of critical importance to society. It is also reflected by Clark's many national and international distinctions, including recognition for its diversity and inclusion efforts, innovation, community engagement and impact, as a top green campus, and for having a distinguished geography and international development program. Clark has also been included in the groundbreaking Colleges that Change Lives guide since it was first published in 1996.
Clark is located in Worcester, Massachusetts, a dynamic, diverse city "on the rise." The second largest city in New England, Worcester is home to 11 institutions of higher learning and is increasingly recognized for its growing healthcare and biotechnology communities, its thriving cultural scene, and as a vibrant food hub
The Director of Residential Life and Housing reports to the Associate Dean for Community Living and works to ensure a supportive living and learning environment for the approximately 1750 undergraduate and graduate students residing in Clark University housing. The Director works with the teams in CARE, Student Engagement, and the Center for Counseling and Personal Growth within the Division of Student Affairs to create synergistic experiences and learning outcomes for the Clark student population. With regard to Residential Life & Housing, the Director provides leadership and vision for strategic planning and budgeting; housing and operations; student conduct processes; assessment and departmental goal setting; and the overall residential experience.
Strategic Planning and Visioning
- Work closely with the Associate Dean for Community Living to ensure departmental objectives and initiatives are in alignment with divisional and institutional priorities.
- Oversee the department's communication and branding strategy, including web presence, social media, departmental administrative tools, student housing portals, essential housing software (THD, Advocate, etc.) and other components of the housing system that are web based.
- Serve as the primary liaison to Information Technology Services, Student Leadership and Programming, the Office of Multi-Cultural & First Generation Student Support, Counseling and Personal Growth, the CARE team, Health Services, Athletics, Academic Advising, Student Accessibility Services, Clark Dining Services, Business and Financial Offices, Admissions, and other key departments on Campus.
- Serve on institutional and division-wide committees as appropriate.
- Develop departmental goals and objectives. Develop an assessment plan to ensure goals and objectives are appropriate and on track.
- Develop strategic plans for revenue generation, cost control, and occupancy management throughout the year, with a focus on growing summer occupancy and usage.
- Directly supervise one Associate Director for Residential Life, one Assistant Director for Housing operations, and one Office Manager. Provide indirect supervision and mentorship to four Community Directors, to 42 Resident Advisers, and five to ten Office Assistants.
- Provide management and oversight of all housing processes, including: First Year and Transfer Housing placements; Graduate Student housing; returning student Housing Lottery; Winter Break Housing; summer housing; and mid-year room change process.
- Prepare and manage departmental budget.
- Work closely with Facilities Management to ensure proper maintenance of housing facilities. Provide input on the prioritization and planning of annual capital expenditures for improvement and maintenance and large capital investments, such as new construction of residence halls, hall renovations, and major infrastructure upgrades.
- Work closely with University Police to ensure coordinated responses to emergencies and violations of campus policies, as well as state and federal law. Develop a Residential Life & Housing professional staff on-call rotation, inclusive of the Director.
- Maintain card access rights for residential students.
- Organize membership and training of and serve as the Chair of the University Conduct Board.
- Work with the Assistant Director, Dean of the College Staff, and Graduate School partners to manage housing processes.
- Act as departmental representative for outside service partners such as cable television provider; refrigerator rentals; storage providers; etc.
- Oversee the recruitment and hiring of professional staff members within the Office of Residential Life and Housing.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Work extensively with institutional software such as Banner, THD, CBORD CS Gold Access, BiQuery, and Simplicity Advocate. Candidates with experience with these similar packages will be preferred.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to social justice, equity, and inclusion, strong multicultural competencies, and an understanding of the experiences of underrepresented and marginalized student populations in higher education.
- Web development experience is desirable. Clark University Residential Life & Housing applications rely heavily on ColdFusion and HTML. Experience with Adobe Dreamweaver would be helpful.
- Must demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, networking, and collaboration skills are essential.
- Experience supervising both student and professional staff is preferred.
- Proven ability to collaborate across divisions and departments.
- Experience in a small operation at a small liberal arts institution is helpful.
- Required to live on campus and participate in the professional staff 'on-call' rotation.
Education Requirements (Essential Requirements):
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Master's degree in college student personnel, higher education administration, counseling, or related field preferred.
- Work Experience Requirements (Essential Requirements):
- The successful candidate will have at least three or more year's progressive experience in Residential Life.
- The ability to think strategically and analytically is a must.
This is a Full-time position with excellent benefits, which include employee and family tuition benefits, 4 weeks' vacation, generous retirement plan, free use of campus fitness center and many more.
Clark University embraces equal opportunity and affirmative action as core values: we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. This commitment applies to every aspect of education, services, and employment policies and practices at Clark. Our commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. All positions at Clark share in the responsibility for building a community that values diversity and the uniqueness of others by exhibiting integrity and respect in interacting with all members of the Clark community to create an atmosphere of fairness and belonging. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, inclusive of all women, to apply.
To be considered for this position, you must submit your credentials online. Create a Clark University Careers Account by clicking on the APPLY NOW button below. You will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for consideration:
- Cover letter
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Already have a Clark University Careers Account? Login to your account to add documents or update your account.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience.
A successful background check is required upon acceptance.