Departmental Assistant Bruna Martin Lab
Job no: 507461
Work type: Hourly
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Psychology and Brain Sci
Categories: Temporary Non-Benefited
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Departmental Assistant will prepare stimuli and software for experiments, collect behavioral and fMRI data from human subjects, perform statistical analyses of the data, and write up the results. Some administrative duties within the Lab will include participant recruitment, collecting fMRI and behavioral session data, and preparing/managing IRB protocols, and Report to the PI and/or graduate students and postdoctoral researchers working in the Lab.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness. In the performance of work, take initiative and operate with self-direction.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience collecting behavioral data, and the ability to work cooperatively in a research setting with student and non-student researchers.
- Experience with collection of fMRI data and basic familiarity with fMRI data analysis software, e.g., FSL, freesurfer, CONN toolbox.
- Familiarity with scripting in linux.
- Proficiency in word processing and Excel programs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and work productively in establishing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with a diverse population of faculty, staff and students.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelors degree in Psychology, Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, or related field preferred.
- Prior experience in a research lab investigating emotion and cognitive control, neuroscience/fMRI, and/or aging preferred.
This person will learn how to:
40 hours per week
$14.00 per hour
Temporary position: 5/10/2021 -5/07/2022
Special Instructions to Applicants
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. http://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 22 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jun 22 2021 Eastern Daylight Time