Departmental Assistant - Dixon Gordon Lab
Job no: 507896
Work type: Hourly
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Psychology and Brain Sci
Categories: Temporary Non-Benefited
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Assistance with coordinating study comparing the effects of elements of psychotherapy on emotional processes in clinical and sub-clinical samples.
- Coordinate studies in the lab
- Prepare and post recruitment materials
- Interact with participants, engage in informed research consent
- Schedule lab tasks
- Perform administrative duties
- Prepare research materials including questionnaire development
- Enter and check data entry
- Conduct preliminary analyses in SPSS statistical software
- Maintain participant records and organized data files
- Order research supplies
- Coordinate with IT and software support
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology or related field of study
- Working knowledge of statistical software for data entry and basic data analysis
- Working knowledge of Word and Excel
- Ability to work well independently
- Ability to work well as part of a research team
- Ability to interact sensitively with clinical populations
- Experience in conducting psychological research
Qualifications Acquired On Job
- Statistical software experience
- Database development, coordination, management
- Interpersonal communication working with diverse populations
- Risk management experience
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment
Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm (20 hours per week)
$13.00 per hour
Temporary one (1) year position.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. (https://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Apr 22 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jun 22 2021 Eastern Daylight Time