Department Coordinator, History & Classical Mediterranean & Middle East
The Department of the Classical Mediterranean and Middle East and the History Department at Macalester College are seeking a full-time (.80 FTE) department coordinator. The departments share a floor of Macalester’s Old Main building, and offer a collegial, welcoming and supportive work environment for qualified applicants. The department seeks candidates with superb logistical and organizational skills, who are comfortable with long-term planning, managing several student workers in an encouraging and positive way, and who will be a pro-active contributor to departmental events and logistics.Responsibilities
- Provides administrative support to faculty in the department; assists the chair of the department with administrative tasks and procedures. Organizes and coordinates department events and meetings.
- Acts as an administrative liaison and point of contact for the department; provides oral and written information about the department and course offerings to students and others on and off campus.
- Organizes and maintains department documents and databases. Uses a variety of software tools to manage department operations.
- Hires, trains, schedules, and supervises student employees.
- Oversees and monitors the department budget and makes department purchases for a wide variety of studio classrooms.
- Provides support for domestic and international travel and study-abroad efforts for faculty and students.
- High School Diploma Required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 1-3 years minimum of professional experience in an administrative role
- Demonstrated commitment to working with individuals of color, first-generation college students and/or individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and accuracy in financial and data management
- Excellent communication skills (i.e. writing, social media, digital design)
- Commitment to the public good and student development
- Demonstrated ability to multitask
- Proficient in MS Office and Google Suite
For best consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage by May 16, 2021. Review of applications will begin immediately. All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA+ individuals.Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester College has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA+ individuals.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit Macalester Benefits for more information about what Macalester has to offer its employees.