Director - Alumni Relations
Director - Alumni RelationsPosting Number:
Dir-Alumni RelationsWorking Title:
Director - Alumni RelationsClassification Code:
1471RCW Exemption Criteria:
16 - Principal AssistantEWU Position Number:
A-196400 - Chief Campus Alumni Affairs AdministratorFLSA:
Exempt - Administrative% Full Time:
100Salary / Wage Range:
AE - 113Salary Information:
$70,779 – $87,550Anticipated Start Date:
As soon as possibleTerm of Appointment:
Yes - BothResponsible HR User:
Vara Lyn ConrathResponsible HR User Email address:
- Eastern Washington University is currently recruiting for the position of Director of Alumni Relations.
- This position provides vision, leadership and strategic direction for alumni engagement in support of Eastern Washington University. Developing a culture of innovation and engagement in alumni programming, developing strategies and plans, and leading the implementation of creative and meaningful engagement for alumni worldwide.
- Implement programs, events, services and communications that strategically engage alumni and connect them with the University.
Cultivate and advance relationships with alumni volunteers and prospective donors.
- On top of salary, the University offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life and disability insurance and retirement. In addition, EWU offers generous vacation and sick leave accruals, 11 paid holidays per year and fringe benefits, such as tuition waiver for employees, discounted EWU sports tickets and free transportation through STA buses.
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
- Must own and/or have access to an automobile; must maintain a valid driver license.
- This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
- If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at [email protected]
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in engagement work, such as alumni relations, donor relations, public relations or a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of management experience, including administration of budgets.
- Proven track record in strategizing, building and managing constituency programs and activities.
- Demonstrated accomplishment in fostering productive relationships with volunteers and developing volunteer leadership.
- Experience managing communications, marketing and public relations programs.
- Supervisory experience with demonstrated ability to manage and inspire employees for maximum performance.
- Strong presentation and writing skills.
- Experience on or working with a 501©3 board of directors.
- Proficiency in utilizing MS Office Products, relational databases, and general office technologies.
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
- Master’s degree.
- Experience working in a higher education setting.
- Experience utilizing social networking/engagement tools in a work setting.
- Experience working with alumni database systems.
- Experience working with web content management systems.
- Preference given to graduates of Eastern Washington University.
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills, excellent listening and oral communications.
- High professionals and ethical standards for handling confidential information.
- Must be able to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed for events and engagement.
- Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Night and weekend work as needed for events and engagement.
04/23/2021Open Until Further Notice:
05/09/2021Screening to Begin:
05/10/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
1.Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2.Attach a chronological resume including work history and major duties, education, and any specialized training or skills related to the position. Please list at least 3 professional references including: names, titles, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and connection to you (these can be identical to the references listed on the application).
3.Complete the online application form and respond to the online questions, if applicable.
4.Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. You will be asked to attach a diversity response as part of the online application process: Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Application% of Time:
20Responsibility / Duty:
Alumni Engagement and Relationship Management:
The Director of Alumni Relations provides visionary and strategic leadership to Eastern Washington University’s efforts to engage its alumni as active Alumni Association members and as advocates, volunteers, volunteer leaders, and donors. The Director of Alumni Relations develops, implements, and executes creative and innovative strategies to grow alumni loyalty and participation that translates to meaningful, tangible, mutually beneficial engagement between EWU’s alumni and the University. This is achieved through a full complement of industry-leading and alumni- and student-centric communications, programs, services, events, and activities.
Yes% of Time:
20Responsibility / Duty:
EWU Alumni Association and Board Relations:
The Director of Alumni Relations cultivates and advances relationships with alumni volunteers and current and prospective donors and influencers. This includes staffing and managing the EWUAA Board of Directors and its various committees and providing leadership and direction to the Alumni Association Board in carrying out the goals identified in the Alumni Relations strategic and annual work plans. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining ongoing communications with EWUAA Board members to ensure meaningful involvement and support of the University’s, Association’s, and Office’s goals and mission, and establishing and building relationships with a wide range of alumni locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. The Director of Alumni Relations partners with the Alumni Association Board to lead the University and Association’s alumni awards, distinguished alumni, and alumni hall of fame programs and activities.
The incumbent will develop volunteer opportunities that support the goals of the Office of Alumni Relations and the University and provide leadership and direction to alumni affinity groups.Essential Function Indicator:
Yes% of Time:
25Responsibility / Duty:
University Relations & Campus Partnerships:
In partnership with or at the direction of the Associate Vice President for University Relations, the Director of Alumni Relations works collaboratively with the Office of the President, the Office of the Provost, vice presidents, deans, directors, and other campus leaders and groups to enhance the relationship between the University and its alumni. Specifically, the incumbent will work with the Division of Student Affairs in selected areas, such as helping the Office of Alumni Relations co-manage select annual traditions for students (e.g., Homecoming, Senior Send-Off, Pass Through the Pillars, etc.); and with the Career Center on programs and activities that utilize alumni volunteers and resources to assist students with professional development, career networking, and job placement. The Director of Alumni Relations will partner with the Office of Admissions to utilize alumni volunteers in the admissions recruitment process and will work with deans and department chairs to enhance alumni programming for their particular area.
The Director of Alumni Relations reports to the Associate Vice President of University Relations and serves as a visible and contributing key member of the University Relations leadership team, including but not limited to taking a leadership role in managing the Alumni Relations Office’s participation in the partnership. The Director of Alumni Relations will serve as the managing publisher of the bi-annual alumni magazine.
The Director of Alumni Relations will represent the University at meetings and special events in the community and help raise positive awareness about the University, the Alumni Association, outstanding alumni, and the Office of Alumni Relations with key community leaders, stakeholders, and other constituents.Essential Function Indicator:
Yes% of Time:
20Responsibility / Duty:
Team Management and Leadership:
The Director of Alumni Relations will lead, supervise, and manage the alumni staff and oversee operational management for the Office of Alumni Relations. The incumbent will create, direct, and manage complex budgets; oversee all financial decisions for the Office of Alumni Relations and the Association; and identify, secure, and manage income sources (affinity programs and sponsorships).
Yes% of Time:
15Responsibility / Duty:
Partnership with Philanthropy and Advancement Services:
The Director of Alumni Relations is responsible for building out a pipeline for comprehensive fundraising campaigns in partnership with Advancement leadership. As a representative of EWU, the Director of Alumni Relations will have fundraising responsibilities, including conducting a minimum of eight discovery, cultivation, and/or stewardship visits with alumni per month to identify potential leaders and donors and to further the objectives of the University’s strategic plan and University Advancement Work Plan. As requested by the Vice President of University Advancement or the Associate Vice President, Philanthropy / Campaign Director, the Director may also maintain a portfolio of high-potential alumni prospects or donors.
The Director of Alumni Relations will work closely with Advancement Services to solicit, maintain and track accurate and up-to-date alumni records.Essential Function Indicator: