Assoc VP & Univ Librarian
Associate VP and University LibrarianUniversity Pay Plan Title:
Assoc VP & Univ LibrarianLocation:
University LibrariesRecruitment Type:
Open to AllJob Type:
Commensurate with experienceJob Category :
ExemptRequired Qualifications: Applicants must specifically address how they meet these required qualifications to meet the requirements of the position.:
▪ An earned graduate degree.
▪ Significant leadership experience within an academic or research library setting and knowledge of a broad range of library operations.
▪ The ability to collaboratively shape and implement a vision that ensures forward-thinking library services, systems, and spaces.
▪ Experience evaluating emerging technologies that support the mission and goals of a university and enhance service to library constituents.
▪ A record of effectively managing existing resources and identifying external funding through grant proposal writing, fundraising, and other activities.
▪ A record of building positive, collaborative working relationships with a broad range of stakeholders in an organization.
▪ A demonstrated record of supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
▪ Strong communication skills, and a commitment to engaging stakeholders through an inclusive and transparent approach.
▪ Experience working collaboratively with external partners and involvement in relevant professional organizations.
▪ An ALA-accredited M.L.S. or its equivalent and a second master’s degree OR doctorate are preferred.Job Description:
Texas State seeks an innovative and creative associate vice president and university librarian (AVPUL) to support continued evolution of the libraries and the university. Reporting to the vice president of information technology, the AVPUL serves as the leader of the University Libraries at Texas State University. The AVPUL is responsible for managing the personnel and financial resources of the University Libraries, as well as ensuring highly responsive and effective services, and access to materials and technologies supporting students and faculty in teaching and learning, research, scholarship, and service. The AVPUL oversees a team of directors responsible for a wide range of library operations.
The University Libraries are the university’s research and information hub and provide key services and resources fueling the success of learning, research, and innovation at Texas State University. University Libraries support two academic campuses through its three facilities and two prestigious collections. Texas State formally joined the Association of Research Libraries in October 2020 and the university
aspires to be classified as an R1 institution.
The AVPUL will be asked to address the following critical leadership issues: enhancing and facilitating scholarly communications and research; supporting the teaching and learning mission of the university; creating and maintaining welcoming, flexible, and technology-rich physical spaces; managing existing resources and identifying new resources; ensuring an environment where library staff can succeed; and advancing an institutional culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Reporting to the vice president of information technology, the associate vice president and university librarian (AVPUL) serves as the leader of the University Libraries at Texas State University. The AVPUL is responsible for managing the personnel and financial resources of the University Libraries, as well as ensuring highly responsive and effective services, and access to materials and technologies supporting students and faculty in teaching and learning, research, scholarship, and service. The AVPUL oversees a team of directors responsible for a wide range of library operations.
The University Libraries are the university’s research and information hub and provide key services and resources fueling the success of learning, research, and innovation at Texas State University. University Libraries support two academic campuses through its three facilities and two prestigious collections.Additional Information to Applicants:
All applications, nominations and inquiries are invited. Applications should include, as separate documents, a letter of interest addressing the themes in the leadership profile and a CV or resume. WittKieffer is assisting Texas State University in this search. For fullest consideration, candidate materials should be received by May 19, 2021. Application materials should be submitted using WittKieffer’s candidate portal. Nominations and inquiries can be directed to Ryan Crawford and Lauren Bruce-Stets at
04/23/2021Job Close Date (posting closes at midnight):
05/19/2021Open Until Filled:
NoNormal Work Days:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, FridayNormal Work Hours Start:
8:00AMNormal Work Hours End:
5:00PMLegal and Required Notices:
Texas State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, committed to inclusive thought and action in support of our diverse community. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups and all those who share our commitment to inclusivity and passion for the strength of our diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.
Texas State is committed to increasing the number of women and minorities in administrative and professional positions.
• Amazing health insurance: various coverage options starting your first day of employment for full-time employees with Texas State paying 100% of the employee premium and 50% for your dependents!
• Generous paid time off: vacation, holidays, sick days and many more!
• Excellent work life balance resources: mother and family-friendly resources in addition to a comprehensive FREE wellness program.
• Great training and development opportunities: choose from a variety of classroom and online course offerings, learning resources, certifications, and employee educational support programs.
• An inclusive Bobcat community: join our many social networks offered on and off-campus.
• Retirement peace of mind: TRS pension, retirement plans and voluntary saving options with generous employer contributions.
By joining the Texas State Bobcat team, you’ll be a part of one of the most beautiful, diverse, and growing universities in the nation.