Acquisitions Editor/Senior Editor
Acquisitions Editor/Senior Editor🔍University Libraries, Redwood City, California, United States📁Communications📅Apr 22, 2021 Post Date📅89283 Requisition #
Acquisitions Editor / Senior EditorStanford University Press seeks an energetic, experienced publishing professional to acquire scholarly and trade books. Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, this individual will play a key role in the development and shaping of lists in in anthropology and Asian studies for the Press. Stanford University Press publishes 130 books a year across the humanities, social sciences, and business. Stanford University Press is located in Redwood City, CA. CORE DUTIES*:
- Acquire and develop 25 titles per year, solicit and evaluate proposals and manuscripts, work with series editors, prepare publishing plans to present to the editorial board, negotiate contracts with authors or agents, and consult with production and marketing.
- Work closely with authors, as well as an editorial assistant, to ensure manuscripts are of high quality, well prepared, and meet scholarly, market, and financial expectations.
- Travel to scholarly conferences and to university campuses.
- Develop, execute, and oversee written communications of moderate complexity, including presentations, talking points, and correspondence.
- Participate in regular meetings of key researchers with media relations needs to develop strategies and tactics for facilitating effective communications.
- Assist in identifying and maintaining professional relationships with key Press and community leaders.
- Assist in preparing content for internal or external publication. Understand email and digital content distribution.
- Identify individuals/groups to attend and/or speak at public meetings or other events.
- At least three years’ experience as an Acquisitions Editor.
- Proven acquisitions and network of authors in the social sciences.
- Excellent written communication skills, reporting skills, and skills in conceptual editing, copy editing, and proof reading.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal communications groups.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in working with a variety of people.
- Capacity to write and synthesize materials and communicate information in a manner easily understood.
- Proven track record in acquiring scholarly and trade titles.
- Knowledge of academic research and publishing standards, including the peer review process. Knowledge of contracts and copyright.
- Familiarity with the subject areas.
- Proven ability to develop and shape a publishing program.
- Knowledge of electronic book publishing and interest in emerging digital opportunities.
- Connections with trade agents.
- Excellent communication, project management, and networking skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficiency with computer systems.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, use a telephone, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, speaking.
- Occasionally grasp forcefully, writing by hand.
- Rarely sort/file paperwork.
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- On call and ability to respond 24/7.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, and course auditing. Join a TedTalk, watch a film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.A healthier you. Choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We provide excellent health care benefits.Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4262
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: H
- Requisition ID: 89283