Laboratory Research Assistant
The University of Maryland School of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology, Translational Research Program is recruiting for a Laboratory Research Assistant. The Laboratory Research Assistant is responsible for performing research activities in a laboratory setting under the instructions. This team studies the innate immune signaling system and its role in sepsis, trauma, and myocardial ischemic injury. Detailed information about the team’s research can be found at https://www.medschool.umaryland.edu/Anesthesiology/Research/Wei-Chao-MD-PhD/Team/.
- Perform routine laboratory maintenance and research activities such as: general housekeeping, ELISA assays, preparing solutions, media, and buffers, cell cultures, electrophoresis, blotting, mouse colonies management, genotyping, ordering, record keeping, and inventory update etc.
- Perform advanced laboratory mouse surgical procedures.
- Administer day-to-day laboratory operations including ensuring quality control and safety compliance, suggesting procedures, and ordering of required components and reporting/resolving technical issues.
- Prepare materials for research studies, including sample collection kits and research documents.
- Assist P.I. in the training and guiding other laboratory personnel in developing policies, procedures and/or methods for laboratory experimentation.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry or in a discipline appropriate to position is required.Preferred Education: Bachelor’s degree in biology, physiology, biochemistry, immunology, neuroscience, or medicine or in any field related to the animal science.Preferred Experience: Experience with mouse disease models or flow cytometry is considered a strength.Other: Consideration may be given for a unique combination of education and experience.May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.* Bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field with at least 18 credits in a field related to the research of the clinic or laboratory, as appropriate, or Bachelor’s degree in unrelated field with at least one year of experience in a field directly related to the research of the clinic or laboratory, as appropriate. Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience. UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at [email protected]. If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact [email protected]. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: School of Medicine - Centers/Programs/ORCs
Job Posting: Apr 23, 2021
Unposting Date: May 7, 2021, 10:59:00 PM