Project Coordinator, Outreach and Recruitment
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: Under the direction of the Director or designee, the Project Coordinator I provides analysis and support for projects, administrative, and general operations. Responsible for independent action on multiple projects as assigned. Tasks vary according to the priorities of the department.
Under the general direction of the AVP for Outreach and Recruitment or designee, the Outreach and Recruitment Program Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating learner recruitment efforts within the Office of Campus Life that impact the School of Medicine (SOM), Graduate School of Nursing (GSN), Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS) and Graduate Medical Education (GME). The primary responsibilities of the Outreach and Recruitment Program Coordinator include establishing and maintaining relationships with research training program directors and health professions advisors at Massachusetts colleges and universities, coordinating interactions with relevant training programs, health professions advisors and departments at Minority Serving Institutions and planning and executing recruitment visits and informational sessions for these institutions. The Program Coordinator will manage UMMS participation in national conferences targeting diverse trainees in STEM and health career fields. The Program Coordinator will work with the SOM, GSN, GSBS and GME as well as the Office for Communications to advertise relevant UMMS recruitment events. Additionally, support will be given to the Residency Recruitment Program.
Coordinate and monitor assigned program activities.Review and analyze data relating to program effectiveness.Make recommendations for changes in procedures and guidelines and formulate strategies for accomplishing program objectives.Develop and implement procedures and guidelines to accomplish assigned program objectives and goals.Confer with management staff and other agency personnel to determine program requirements and availability of resources and assist in developing program evaluation criteria and standards.Evaluate program activities and make recommendations for program modifications.Review existing regulations that pertain to programs and services and make recommendations for improvements or changes, particularly as it relates to meeting contractual requirements.Comply with established policies, health & safety regulations and requirements, procedures and department objectives.Maintain the confidentiality of all business documents and correspondence per UMMS/CWM procedures and FERPA regulations
- Organize and plan work activities of the Department for review with appropriate senior staff
- Implement and manage tasks in accordance with departmental objectives
- Participate as a member of project teams
- Assist senior staff with project development activities: compiling data, drafting reports, and assisting with special projects
- Maintain project plans in Microsoft Project and produce related project reports
- Compile and analyze data, and draft project reports for review by senior staff
- Initiate and maintain contact with key personnel including staff, department heads and external parties
- Update the Director or designee on project details and changes in a timely manner
- Review pertinent correspondence, communications and other background materials on a daily basis to remain current on project and operation details
- Draft routine correspondence, meeting minutes, management reports for the Director or designee and department staff
- Prepare multi-media presentations and reports utilizing a variety of software applications including, but not limited to: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Visio
- Develop and maintain time schedules for department staff, project events and office activities
- Maintain project files and support materials
- Perform other duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, a related field, or equivalent experience
1 year of experience coordinating and planning projects
- Ability to work in a team and meet performance deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills necessary to interact with clients and staff
- Demonstrated experience in using computer-based tools including electronic mail, word processing, spreadsheet and database products.
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM, business or related field; or equivalent experience. Advanced degree in STEM field preferred.
- 1-3 years of experience in program administration, student recruitment, student affairs, student diversity or related educational experience.
- Experience working with students pursuing or interest in advanced degrees in biomedical science, medicine and/or nursing
- Experience in fostering diversity
- Ability to understand, apply and explain pertinent laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to relate and communicate well with a diverse client population.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both writing and oral presentation.
- Demonstrated ability to work appropriately with confidential information.
- Skilled in problem solving and team building
- Effective negotiating skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills needed to interact with all organizational levels
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities and operate in a flexible manner.
- Demonstrated experience using computer-based tools including email, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and database environments.