Leave of Absence Specialist
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Manager, Employee Relations Investigations and HR Compliance, the Leave of Absence Specialist is responsible for overseeing the UMass Medical Schools Leave Programs including, FMLA leave, LOA, Parental Leave, etc.Responsibilities
- Administer the UMMS Leave policies and procedures in accordance with applicable federal and state employment laws, including but not limited to, the Family and Medical Leave Act, MA Paid Family and Medical Leave, Workers Compensation, and other leaves of absence.
- Monitors all leaves of absence cases to ensure that the appropriate steps are followed in compliance with UMMS policy and all applicable laws.
- Advises employees and managers regarding the type(s) of Leave available.
- Determine eligibility, maintain communication with employee to ensure appropriate paperwork is completed, coordinate with EHS for employee approvals, send out appropriate notices, and communicate with managers and payroll department for accuracy in pay.
- Work with employees, managers, and the UMass Memorial Medical Center Employee Health Services Department to process Leave requests.
- Address and respond to employee and manager Leave concerns by phone or in person in a sensitive, timely and accurate manner.
- Manages the UMMS Sick Leave Bank.
- Manage and track the Human Resources policies.
- Maintain the Labor poster program at all UMMS locations.
- Assists the Employee Relations team with ER processes (probationary check-ins, exit interviews, etc.) and metrics.
- Prepares audit reports.
- Participates in Employee Relations training for managers on the UMMS leave of absence request and approval process.
- Assists the Manager, Employee Relations Investigations and HR Compliance in the completion of compliance related tasks.
- Recommends procedure improvements and assists with ways to improve the leave of absence process.
- Provides project coordination support and/or other duties as assigned.
- Maintains confidentiality and safeguards department records and other sensitive information.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience administering an Employee Leave Process including FMLA in a large and complex organization.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately track and monitor employees’ use of leave and eligibility for leave.
- Working knowledge of Family Medical Leave Act, including the application and approval process.
- Working knowledge of MA Paid Family Medical Leave law, including the application and approval process.
- Working knowledge of MA Workers Compensation claim and approval process.
- Demonstrated initiative and independent judgment when carrying out duties.
- Computer literate and highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and PeopleSoft.
- Strong time management and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to multitask and consistently meet deadlines.
- Possesses well developed attention to detail, ability to maintain accurate records and excellent proofreading skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Demonstrated initiative through past experience.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding employee personal information.