Sr Research Scientist - Cryo-Electron Microscopy Core
Under the general direction of the principal investigator and facility director, the Senior Research Scientist performs a variety of complex research experiments for research projects mainly using Cryo-electron microscopy and Cryo-electron tomography. Supervises and provides services to cryo-EM academic users and industry customers.Responsibilities
- Design and implement research projects in the facility laboratory.
- Stay current with the literature and regularly leads discussions of new reports pertinent to ongoing and proposed projects.
- Design and implement experiments to further ongoing research projects, in consultation with the principal investigator.
- Responsible for data acquisition, data analysis, and presentation of research results.
- Organize and analyze data acquired in the course of research projects.
- Specific expertise in the cryoEM is required including preparing cryoEM grids in variers conditions using manual and automated cryo plunger freezers.
- Train and supervise junior facility personnel and CryoEM users and customers, ensuring them are trained in current methodology and safety procedures in the laboratory.
- Participate regularly in laboratory meetings.
- Navigate and train the diverse personalities that make up our dynamic facility environment.
- Provide support for under-represented minorities scholars.
- Ensure researchers in the laboratory are aware of the experimental nuances and potential risks of their experiments – that they are using the optimal approach to obtain quality data.
- Lead and coordinate the general operation of the laboratory, in consultant with facility manager.
- Perform routine maintenance to cryo-electron microscopy instruments to ensure they are in excellent operating conditions.
- Interface with CryoEM academic users and industry customers, provide advice for experimental strategies of sample preparation and data acquisition.
- Acquire high-resolution data for customers when needed and monitor data collection quality and efficiency throughout the session.
- Analyze CryoEM structural data for customer when needed.
- Provide service report to external customers for the sample characterization services.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Biological Science, or equivalent degree
- 7 years of research experience.
- PhD in a Biological Science preferred with 5 years of research experience.
- Familiarity with high-end cryo-electron microscopes and director electron detectors.
- Expertise in imaging processing for both single particle and cryo-ET applications.
- Familiarity with Linux operating system.
- Oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work off-hours occasionally.
Experience with Cryo-FIB instrument and procedure of making cryo lamella.