Research Associate – Cryo-Electron Microscopy Core
A Research Associate position is available at the Cryo-Electron Microscopy (Cryo-EM) Core Facility at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Under the general direction of the Principal Investigator or designee, the Research Associate performs a variety of complex research experiments and is responsible for overseeing laboratory operations within the Facility.
Affiliated with the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, the Facility supports projects in structural biology and related fields. It also provides Cryo-EM imaging and data analysis services to external academic scientists and industry customers. The successful candidate will have an excellent opportunity to work with cutting-edge high-end cryo-electron microscopy instruments and gain highly demanded marketable skills.Responsibilities
- Performs complex laboratory experiments and conducts in-depth analysis of research experiments.
- The successful candidate will specialize and be responsible for aspects of method development, sample preparation, data acquisition, data analysis using a diverse variety of Cryo-EM software platforms
- Responsibilities also include providing user/customer project support, effectively communicating project progress and providing timely feedback to customers for sample condition and data acquisition strategy advice.
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
- Ensure facility instruments in good functioning conditions and provide on-site support to Investigators as requested
- Design and execute protocols and experiments, modify protocols as needed, and may be responsible for own research project
- Responsible for overall laboratory organization including oversight of safety protocols and the maintenance of related records
- Responsible for and coordinate the receiving and shipping of customer’s sample.
- Oversee and assist in the training of new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 1 year relevant research experience
- Candidates with a Ph.D. or Masters preferred.
- The successful candidate must be highly motivated, detail driven and be interested in expanding their background while working in a highly-automated, computer controlled modern cryo-EM facility.
- Outstanding communication and organize skills are essential for this position.
- Programming experience and knowledge of Linux operating system are considered a plus.
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills are required along with a demonstrated ability to handle various projects simultaneously through multi-tasking and prioritization.
- Must be able to work in a team-oriented environment, demonstrate attention to detail and keep accurate laboratory records.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems