Director of Business Admissions
Posting #: 3290
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: School of Business, Administrator
Position Title & Department:
Director of Business Admissions; School of Business
The University of San Diego School of Business embraces a stewardship approach to business education. Stewardship requires businesses to protect and care for society in pursuit of a greater good. The USD School of Business community of faculty, staff, students, and graduates, embrace stewardship by applying values-driven, free-enterprise skills to improve businesses, industries, and the lives of people in our community and around the world.
Looking forward, the Knauss Center for Business Education will be the physical home for the USD School of Business, and more important, the mortar that binds us together is our unique competitive advantage as we deliver a rich, holistic student experience, crafted with a higher purpose in mind, for all the greater good. See our progress: https://horizon.sandiego.edu/knauss-center.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
This recruitment is open to current University of San Diego employees only. Only current USD employees are eligible to apply and be considered for this position.
The Director of Business Admissions is responsible for managing and coordinating overall admissions processes for business programs. In addition, the Director has the specific responsibility to oversee the strategic use of financial merit funding across programs, ensuring best practices are implemented, as well as helps Assistant Directors of Outreach and Recruitment implement all cross-program recruiting events. The Director works closely with the Assistant Dean of Marketing and Recruitment and Assistant Directors to ensure enrollment goals are met as well as serves as a primary liaison with central Graduate Admissions and Office of Financial Aid. The Director is required to work some evenings and weekends as well as occasionally travel.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Oversight and Coordination of Admissions Process:
● Ensure that the admissions process reflects the department’s commitment to diversity and results in the matriculation of a diverse student body.
● Create a strategy for participation in MBA and MS recruiting fairs in the USA, abroad and virtually and represent USD’s programs at these events as needed.
● Responsible for contributing to the School’s revenue and admissions goals, supporting Assistant Directors with the management of student inquiries and applications, conducting informational interviews, documenting the admissions process for compliance, and following up with enrolled students as needed.
● Consult with assistant directors of outreach and recruitment to troubleshoot applicant questions and remove barriers that keep applicants from completing the enrollment process.
● Design and manage the assigned program application process, and make recommendations for updates to admissions criteria and policies as needed. Coordinates with Graduate Admissions regarding any changes to the application process and annual updates to the online application.
● Represent USD at GMAC and other external organizations with the intention of expanding awareness of USD business programs and bringing back ideas for new programs and process improvement.
● Manage the application review process, including interview protocols, and coordinate with department chairs regarding admissions decisions.
● Monitor and assist with the development of appropriate assessments and measurements related to the school's enrollment performance. Provide all requested measurements, reports and information to the Assistant Dean of Marketing and Recruitment as well as Assistant Directors of Outreach and Recruitment as needed.
● Assist with admissions interviews across programs as needed.
● Manage the collection and reporting of applicant and enrollment data (via inquiries, surveys, evaluations) across all departments and programs, training the Assistant Directors of Outreach and Recruitment on data collection and reporting as needed.
● Maintain current and relevant data for on-going use and assessment.
Responsible for School-Wide Recruiting and Yield Efforts:
● Lead, coordinate and host school-wide recruiting fairs and events, including the graduate open house, meet the professors and other initiatives.
● Support Assistant Directors of Outreach with responding to and regularly following up with inquiries from various sources (e.g. phone, email, web, in-person inquiries, etc.) in a timely and efficient manner as needed.
● Collaborate with Center for Student Success to determine best practices for the transition from student recruitment to student matriculation.
● Assist with special projects, as needed, to enhance the business programs and related activities at the School of Business.
● Manage activities designed to facilitate strong yield rates for admitted applicants.
● Represent the business school, as needed, in USD admissions initiatives and activities.
Strategic Management of Award Packages and Financial Aid Across Programs:
● In collaboration with the Assistant Dean of Marketing and Recruitment, develops strategic scholarship allocations to attract a talented and diverse pool of students.
● Collaborate with Financial Aid in the awarding of USD grants and overall aid packages.
● Responsible for understanding annual updates to Yellow Ribbon and VA benefits, making requests for adjustments for business students as needed.
● Assist the Assistant Directors of Outreach and Recruitment in communicating scholarship awards and responding to negotiations for increased scholarships.
● Determine continuing scholarship amounts and eligibility in conjunction with the Assistant Directors and the Student Success team.
● Notify financial aid of new scholarships, scholarship adjustments and continuation scholarships.
● Serves as the School’s primary liaison with the Office of Financial Aid and military and veterans programs.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with preference given to business, marketing, psychology, communications or related field.
● 5 years of experience in leadership roles in higher education, recruiting, marketing, or sales.
● Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with preference given to business or related field.
● 5+ years of experience in higher education recruiting and admissions.
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of and experience with:
● Product marketing and promotion
● Interacting with the professional business community
● Project or event management
● Presenting materials
● Using judgment to respond appropriately to inquiries
● Writing reports
● Computers and software (including MS Word, Access or other databases, Internet, Web, etc.)
● Modern office practices, systems and procedures
● Multi-line telephones
● Spreadsheets, budgeting procedures
Demonstrated performance in:
● Being comfortable in working with others from different cultures and countries
● Human relations and interpersonal communications
● Exercising self-initiative and creativity
● Be able to function with the highest degree of autonomy
● Operation of personal computer equipment and web management
● Time management and organization of multi-tasking work requirements
● Communicating effectively both verbally and in writing
● Working with diverse personalities
● Working independently using good judgment, initiative and creativity
● Familiar and comfortable in working with students
● Being flexible and versatile in coping with evolving and work situations
● Being able to handle the stress of last-minute deadlines and changes
● Ability to assume responsibility and effectively resolve problems by exercising independent judgment
● Project or event management
● Interacting with professionals in the business community
● Interacting with faculty, academic administrators and students
Special Conditions of Employment: The Director is required to work some evenings and weekends as well as occasionally travel.
Tools & Equipment Used: Computer, telephone, fax, and other related office equipment.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions:
Resume Required, Cover Letter Preferred Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload a resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. You are also strongly recommended to upload a cover letter to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
Note: Preference will be given to qualified current University of San Diego employees.
Hours: 37.5 (8:30-5pm, M-F; Compressed work schedule option available.)
Closing date: May 7th, 2021
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: April 23, 2021 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: May 07, 2021 Pacific Daylight Time