Accounts Receivable Specialist
Job Title: Accounts Receivable Specialist
Location: Student Accounts
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605366
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
There are two positions available.
This is a full-time, regular, benefit-eligible position at NAU, providing direct support to the department. The work hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Regular and timely attendance is a must.
Resume, cover letter, and three professional references are required in addition to the application.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This position is responsible for supporting, coordinating and administering processes and procedures for delinquent Customer Accounts and campus based student loan accounts at the direction of the Accounts Receivable Manager of Student and Departmental Account Services. Account Specialists counsel and advise customers regarding Customer Account and campus based loan processes and the most effective and economical means to maintain good standing.
- Maintains compliance with due diligence procedures and collection of delinquent Customer Accounts and campus based loans in accordance with Federal regulations and University policies and procedures.
- Reviews delinquent accounts on a regular basis, providing ongoing written and telephone collection efforts.
- Composes correspondence to customers requiring knowledge of procedures and practices in account receivables.
- Provides recommendations to the Accounts Receivable Manager for any enrollment restrictions/exceptions.
- Researches and analyzes accounts and examines historical data to evaluate collection and payment history.
- Negotiates, reviews and maintains payment arrangements for delinquent customer accounts by:
- Assessing customers’ financial status when establishing payment arrangements.
- Creating promissory notes using independent judgment within established limits.
- Contacting defaulted students and borrowers by letter and phone to collect past due amounts needed to bring the account current in accordance with the agreed payment arrangement.
- Providing follow-up as needed to ensure obligations are satisfied and/or to determine when an account should be escalated to a collection agency.
- Restructures or revises payment terms when necessary to ensure successful repayment.
- Negotiates, reviews and maintains settlement arrangements for delinquent customer accounts by:
- Calculating settlement offers based on customer account information.
- Maintaining historical data of settlement arrangements offered, completed and/or expired.
- Provides proof of debt and resolves disputes regarding delinquent balances on customer accounts and campus based loans.
- Provides support for escalated calls and emails from customers in various situations that need to be researched and coordinated with other campus departments. Reviews, verifies, and analyzes student account customer service needs to provide account clarification and problem resolution.
- Maintains process and procedure manuals.
- Monitors financial aging reports.
- Recommends, reviews, and maintains processes for deferments, hardships and cancellations of campus based loans.
- High school degree.
- One year of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Customer service experience with the ability to clearly communicate with diverse population.
- Experience working with federal/state regulations in a post-secondary education atmosphere.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a professional environment with strong communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Baseline knowledge of bookkeeping practices and principles.
- Knowledge of basic business math, standard clerical accounting duties, and accounts receivable functions.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Data entry skills.
- Skill in maintaining accounting or bookkeeping records.
- Communicates effectively.
- Listens actively.
- Recognizes and escalates unusual situations or problems Balances competing priorities.Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted salary amount is $33,000 - $35,000.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
May 6, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.