Administrative Svcs Assist, Sr
Job Title: Administrative Svcs Assist, Sr
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605367
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
The Administrative Assistant to the Associated Students of Northern Arizona University performs varied advanced administrative work unique to ASNAU requiring initiative and independent judgment. The Administrative Assistant works independently and is specifically accountable to the ASNAU Executive Officers who establish the day-to-day priorities, while under general direction of the Dean of Students or their designee. The Administrative Assistant is responsible for all fiscal, contract, procurement, travel, time management and other processes requiring action by a full-time employee. The Administrative Assistant also assists ASNAU Officers and Staff Members with official records and recommending of administrative policies and procedures. The Administrative Assistant will manage problems and non-routine situations by determining the approach or action to take and interprets guidelines, procedures, policies, and practices. Incumbents may have contact with high-level administrative offices and elected or appointed state officials, alumni or parents requiring professionalism, strong communication skills, tact, discretion, and judgment.
Example of Duties:
- Serves as primary staff support person for ASNAU Executive Officers, ASNAU Staff, ASNAU Legal Services and related staff and student volunteers.
- Greet walk-ins, answer phones, take messages as needed, and provide excellent customer service at all times.
- Screens phone calls and visitors, directing to appropriate staff or department when necessary; provides information requiring comprehensive knowledge and may interpret department policy, procedure, and operations.
- Analyzes and responds to matters requiring comprehensive knowledge of NAU, ASNAU and Dean of Students policy and procedures.
- Serves as a campus resource for students and for other departments. Effectively manage a variety of concerns and complaints that might arise throughout the year.
- Monitor and track ASNAU revenues and expenditures against annual budget of nearly $1 million and share regular updates with ASNAU organizational leaders and Advisers.
- Maintains and reconciles budgets for ASNAU and performs simple analysis on accounts; authorizes payments within prescribed limits; makes recommendations for purchases. Works under the guidance of Student Affairs Business.
- Provides support as payroll/leave system timekeeper for the department preparing payroll for Executive sign-off; purchasing card purchases and reconciliations, and other personnel documents and functions as needed.
- Support the Gold Axe award selection process.
- Serve as Notary Public for NAU students, faculty, and staff.
- Retrieve daily office mail, screen as appropriate and process in-box and out-box daily.
- May assist with hiring and responsible for training, supervising and coordinate activities of student employees. May facilitate evaluation of Front Desk and Executive Office Assistants with Executives.
- Assists with coordination of special events and programs sponsored by ASNAU including retreats, banquets, leadership events, and events associated with Family Weekend, Homecoming, Elections, etc.
- Look up and report on student information from People Soft/Student Information Data base as needed.
- Provide input and recommendations for improving office processes and provide student leaders and supervisor with ongoing feedback regarding student, parent and employee requests, issues and concerns.
- Assures compliance with university records retention and public access policies for ASNAU minutes, notices, manuals, agendas, and correspondence with all supporting documentation.
- Researches various product and services providers associated with large scale events sponsored by ASNAU. Assists with contract and procurement processes within university procedures.
- Implements new policies, procedures or practices impacted by decisions made by Executive Team or by Legislation adopted by the Senate.
- Maintains unit documents such as ledgers, personnel records, budget data and financial records; ensures adherence to policy and procedure and monitors processes and documentation for accuracy.
- Updates the ASNAU website using WordPress.
- Serves as liaison to faculty, staff, students, alumni, patients, outside agencies and the public concerning information or complaints.
- Answers inquiries and composes correspondence on own initiative on general and technical matters in accordance with established guidelines and forwards other items to Executive Officers or appropriate staff.
- With the Executive Officers, plans and arranges conferences or meetings under general instructions from supervisor; communicates arrangements to appropriate individuals.
- Types or word processes correspondence, reports or other documents from rough draft, shorthand notes or digital recorder; corrects grammar, spelling and punctuation errors; edits wording without changing intended message.
- Participates in special projects with ASNAU as directed.
- Requires a high school degree, and
- 1-3 years of relevant administrative experience, or
- A combination of related education, experience, and training.
- Experience with group advisement and leadership development.
- Training or background in college student development.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of basic accounting/budgeting procedures.
- Knowledge of standard office policies and procedures.
- Skill in developing and maintaining good working relationships.
- Skill in English composition, grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Skill in basic math.
- Skill in the use of personal computer/software including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Enterprise Reporting, LOUIE and other databases and on-line tools.
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Detail-oriented, able to maintain confidentiality, dependable and tactful.
- The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budget salary amount is $36,018
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
May 6, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.