Job Title: Custodian, Senior
Location: Facility Srv: Custodial Shop
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605353
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This classification typically reports to the Custodial Area Supervisor.
- Monitors and directs custodial tasks of subordinates
- Assists with supervision of custodial staff
- Schedules work to meet normal requirements without interfering with campus operations
- Schedules work of special crews for special events
- Develops, initiates, and participates in a training program which familiarizes custodial staff with particular problems involved in custodial services including improved techniques and safety practices
- Inspects buildings, rooms, lobbies, storage space, hallways, fixtures, etc. to determine quality of work
- Inspects custodial equipment to ensure proper maintenance and care is being fulfilled
- Orders appropriate materials and supplies
- Prepares, maintains, and submits appropriate records and correspondence as needed
- Recommends new methods to promote efficiency and reduce costs
- Participates in establishing and scheduling major custodial projects
- Provides input to supervisor for completion of annual performance appraisals on Custodians
- Fills-in as needed to perform custodial duties on an emergency basis during normal working hours and after normal working hours
- Unlocks and secures doors as needed
- Opens and closes windows due to inclement weather conditions, etc.
- Cleans up floods in areas of assignment
- Lifts/moves and delivers equipment
- Covers scheduled areas of assignments during other staffs absences
- Rearranges daily schedules as required
- Performs on-call weekend emergency coverage as needed
- Shovels/removes snow from designated areas as needed
- Lifts/moves and delivers ice-melt to staff in field
- Lifts and/or empties mop buckets, wringers, wet-vacs, carpet cleaners, gallons or boxes of chemicals, ice-breakers, and shovels
- Operates buffers and wet-vacs as needed
- Operate computers, copiers, fax machines as needed
- Maintains professional and productive working relationships with management, coworkers, students, staff, and customers
- Other duties as assigned
- High school degree and
- 1-3 years of custodial experience, OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Working knowledge of cleaning equipment, products, techniques, and standards
- Working knowledge of equipment and materials usage and maintenance
- Skill in coordinating and scheduling the work activities of assigned staff
- Basic working knowledge and skill of word processing
- Ability of effectively communicate
- The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds
- Ability to lift/move heavy objects up to 50 pounds
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
$31,320 - $39,150
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
May 3, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.